Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Hi. I have a 42" plasma tv, model TH-42PX60U, an older model.

Hi. I have a 42" plasma tv, model TH-42PX60U, an older model. I was just sitting watching the TV when suddenly some vertical lines showed up on the far left side. The waver and blur the picture underneath. Any ideas?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occurring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had the set for at least 10 years (I think). the problem occurred last evening just out of the blue. the TV is connected to Verizon Fios and a DVD player. Have not tried and DVD's yet. When I press Menu on the TV the Menu will display but it cannot be read because it is underneath this vertical band that is on the left side.

Thank you for the reply. If the TV's internal MENU is covered by the lines, and the problem, then we don't need to know what happens with the DVD. The TV's MENU supersedes all externally connected devices, and indicates a problem with the TV when the MENU is affected.

This problem can happen due to several things, and to determine which, a Technician would need to first inspect the Power Supply Board for signs of faulty Capacitors, as well as measure the voltages coming from the Power Supply.
The Power Supply is one of the most common causes of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $150 to have repaired.
The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for producing the image on the Plasma display and are the HARDEST working boards in the set. They also incur the greatest amount of heat which can cause failures such as the one you are having. common failures for this type of TV. Average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.
If these boards check good, then the problem is the Plasma Panel itself which will mean you need to get a new TV. The cost to replace the Plasma panel will exceed the cost of the TV itself, as the panels are very expensive and very labor intensive to replace.
I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.
If you'd like, you can locate a tech using the link below: