Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My tv wont stay on

My tv wont stay on
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 10 months ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
-When it shuts off, what does the light on the front do?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

THE TV IS ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD. THE GREEN LIGHT COMES ON BUT IMMEDIATELY GOES BACK OFF. THE MODEL # XXXXX XXXXX

If you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen before it goes off?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

NO, THE SCREEN IS TOTALLY BLACK

OK thanks....can you double check that model number? Its not coming up in any database.

Thanks!
Tim
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

THE MODEL # XXXXX XXXXX

Ok that is better.

Any problems before this? (taking longer to come on, picture issues, shutting off, etc.)

Tim
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

IT HAS TAKEN A COUPLE OF TRYS TO GET IT TO TURN ON THE LAST FEW DAYS.

Ok, that is pretty common in your model. Most of the time (about 95%), when it does this where it is hard to come on then stops coming on, the problem is some of the capacitors in the power supply are failing.

Normally even now, if you try enough times it might come on and work, but once you shut it off, it will be hard to come on again.

If you know how to use a meter and solder, I can help you repair it. If not then you would need a tech at this point...bad news is it normally runs $100-125 to have it repaired.

I am very sorry for the bad news, I wish I had an easier fix for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.