Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

Hello, have an issue with a un55c6300sf. It wont turn on

Hello, have an issue with a un55c6300sf. It won't turn on and I replaced the power supply board
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Also, what exact symptoms does the TV have (blinking power light, clicking sounds, etc.)?

What steps did you use to diagnose that the problem was in fact the Power Supply?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The standby light would not come on, but it would light up with remote. With new board I plug it in and standby light comes on. When you press power button it clicks and you can hear the sound chime come on, but no picture. It then blinks 5 times and then the lamp goes off and it's pretty much dead. You can try to change channels or adjust volume and the light comes on. It will not turn off and have the standby light stay on. You have to disconnect power to to have the standby light come on.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the reply. Did you test any voltages on the board before you replaced it? Also, are you comfortable jumping the PS-ON terminal to ground to see if the TV powers up? Or are you looking for the most common cause of this problem in a layman's approach?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm an engineer and have a meter. Let me know what you want to try.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Find the PS_ON terminal on the power supply, and jumper a wire to ground, using any metal chassis ground inside the set to see if you can force the TV to turn on. Keep in mind you won't have a picture, but we're just looking to see if we can get the screen to light up and the set to stay on. If you are able to do that, and the set does come on, then you need to replace the Mainboard. The Mainboard generates the PS_ON command and a faulty mainboard can cause the TV to not turn on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't see PS_ON terminal on this power supply
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
How about on the mainboard, the terminal may be labeled there, then simply follow the wire from that terminal to the supply board. Let me know if you cannot find it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. Don't see it there either
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Can you double check the model number off the back of your set, the model number is XXXXX valid?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
UN55C6300SFXZA
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Okay, I can't find it on this set either. Let's try this instead:

Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. Press the power switch to try and turn the TV ON before you do this.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems all the voltages are ok.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
So all the voltages are present with NO load on the supply correct?

If so, then unplug the TV, then connect the Inverter board, plug the set back in then see what the voltages are reading.

If they're still fine, then unplug the set, and disconnect the T-Con, then plug the set back in and read the voltages.

What we're looking to see, is if one of the other boards causes the power supply board to shut down.

I need to step away for an hour or so, but will be back online then if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Both power supply's last nite
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
You lost me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Both power supplies act the same so I think one of the other boards
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
I understand and knew it wasn't the power supply, and what I was saying was to try the test above (divide and conquer), to see which other board is causing it. If it's not the T-Con or Inverter causing it to shut down then you need a Mainboard.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.