Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a panasonic tv - model # XXXXX --- Remote will not

I have a panasonic tv - model # XXXXX --- Remote will not operate the tv, remote is new, and is also panasonic. It worked for awhile then it stopped. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Can you please double check and postback with the model number off of the back of the TV?

Also, how long have you had the set for?

Will the buttons on the TV operate the set as they should?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model # XXXXX

I have owned the tv for about 9 years

The buttons work as they should.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.

This is a TV/DVD/VCR Combo correct?

Can you tell me if the original remote simply stopped working, and if so, do you have this remote handy?

Additionally, even though the new remote is a Panasonic, that doesn't mean it will work for this TV unless it's the SAME exact model as the original. Do you have a Model Number off of the remote please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is a combo tv/vcr/dvd

The remote did just stop working, I called the # XXXXX the manual and they thought the remote was the problem, I purchased an exact model as original, and it worked for awhile and then it also stopped. I do not have access to the tv now, I have it at my work place.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

The issue is either the remote control itself, or the IR sensor on the TV.

Replace the batteries in the remote first, if you have not already done this.

If it still doesn't work, then grab a cell phone camera, or digital camera and view the tip of the remote through the Viewfinder of the camera. Press any of the buttons on the remote, and look for a bright white flash from the tip of the remote. If you DO see a bright flash, then the TV's Infra-Red sensor is what has failed, and would need to be replaced.

If the remote does NOT emit a bright white flash when the buttons are pressed, then the remote is indeed faulty. Again though, make sure you change the batteries even if they were somewhat new as they can still be bad right out of the package.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.