Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a E550VL TV which was bought in December 2010. The TV

I have a E550VL TV which was bought in December 2010. The TV was on and running when The electrical power went off at my home. Now I can not get to come back on. I have unplugged and let sit for several hours and moved the power tv cord to different power strip electrical outlet and will not come back on. The VIZIO logo on bottom is orange. Any other suggestions. I would expect a tv costing over a $1100 to last longer than this. Help.
Hello and thank you for the question.

These sets, and all other flat screens can be very sensitive when the power is lost.

Can you tell me a few things here?

Specifically, was your cable box taken out as well, or any other devices?

Also, what signs of life does the TV have right now at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes my dish satellite DVR, VIZIO Sound Bar, Sony DVD blueray player are connected. The only signs of life is the orange VIZIO emblem on bottom of tv. Several times when using the remote or power button on the TV I heard clicking about 60 seconds later. The last time I tried no clicking.
Thank you. What I asked was if any of the other devices were affected by the outage?

Also, have you tried disconnecting the set from power for several minutes, then plugging back in to see if the set will reset?

When you press power on the TV, does the screen backlight even for a second?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It appears all the other devices are fine. Yes I unplugged several times hoping to reset.
Thank you for the reply Jackie, and unfortunately there isn't a quick fix or reset and the set will require service.

If you're comfortable removing the rear of the set, you may be able to fix this yourself. I can provide you instructions and a link to parts if this is the route you're looking to take.

Or are you looking for a diagnosis and repair estimate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like both.

There is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets. The problem could also be a cracked solder joint, or failed IC regulator, in which case it would be more cost effective to replace the board itself. Average cost to have this repaired by a shop is around $250-$275 parts and labor.

However, if you want to repair this yourself, you can save around $200. There is a video that shows you how to replace the Power Supply Board on your set below:

The link below is where you can purchase the Power Supply Board for your set:

If you're not comfortable performing this type of repair, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service before you log off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please send this info to my email [email protected] Thx
I cannot send anything to your E-mail, I am only a user of the site and can post on this message board. You can copy and paste the reply, or get back here at ANYTIME by clicking on the Notification E-mail that Just Answer sends you, or by logging onto

Please, do not forget to rate my service as it is the only way I receive credit for my work here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why do you recommend getting the power supply from RetechTV vs ShopJimmy?

I don't recommend one versus the other, at the time that was the only place I found with it in stock.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We replaced power supply and tv is working (thanks for the help) but TV remote is no longer working. Does this have to do with replacing the power supply? My Dish satellite remote also can not power on/off TV or change volume. Thanks for any insight!