Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

after resolving that split screen my tv stop talking,what should

after resolving that split screen my tv stop talking,what should I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 11 months ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

model number HD61Z886 the year is 2005 I have a Comcast cable on it and a dvd player

You have no sound on either comcast cable or dvd?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have sound on dvd,not on cable

OK do you have a cable box or does the cable go straight from the wall to the tv?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes

How is your cable box hooked to the tv?

The choices are:

Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tim,let me try to explain you the cable from the wall goes strait to the box,another cable from the box goes straith to the tv,and 3 color coded wires from the dvd to the tv.That is the way the setting is and it was working

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Different expert here.
Was reading what was said and at this point if you have sound from the dvd and none from the cable box then it sounds like your cable box may need to be rebooted.
Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a couple of minutes.
In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.
Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.

Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer if that does the trick , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Jack you're the best I have sound,my last question the tv keep turning off by itself and it takes few minutes before I can turn it on

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.
Glad to hear about the sound part :)
Looks like you are having fun with this tv though !

How often does it turn off , is it always approx. the same time between shut downs ?

Is it worse when the tv is cold or when it warms up ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

not sure,but it is not the same time between shut down

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Sorry , had to step out for a bit .

When the tv shuts down, do you have any flashing light at the front ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes the power indicator

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.
O.k and the lamp light does not blink at all or alternately with the power light ?
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.
When the screen turns off , do you still have the sound ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no,no sound

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then all I got from the service manual on this is an internal failure to be diagnosed.

Depending on the length of times it takes between shut downs , you could be dealing with overheating or temp. sensors or cooling fan.

Without being there myself with tools and meters it would be difficult to confirm any of those .

Perhaps just blowing the dust off the fans would do the trick.

There are 3 fans internally , if you wish to look into this yourself I can upload a page from the manual that will show you were they are located ?

Click this link here "CLICK ME"

But I must tell you that usually there would be a specific error code with the power and lamp light blinking alternately to point to a fan or sensor error.

If you are not into removing the back cover and light engine yourself and would like the help of a local tech. on this then click on the link below and enter your zip code ;

www.tvrepairpros.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area. You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , this is a bit like buying insurances , it pays to shop around.

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech