Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

we have a 50 inch pana sonic flat screen tv, it was working

we have a 50 inch pana
sonic flat screen tv, it was working when it was turned off yesterday evening, but when we tried to turn it back on there is no picture. the indicator light that it is on is flashing. the screen is off. The cable box shows that it is on.
it is plasma hd tv. model #TCP50530, Serial #LE`0540324, power rating120V - 50/60HZ. 338w. February 2011,
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

While the light is flashing at the front , it usually gives an error code , so could you count the number of blinks in between short pauses ?

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number again , located on the back cover or owner`s manual ?

Could it be TCP50X30 ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

7 flashes between pause

TC-P50S30

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Thanks , can you give me a few minutes while I pull out the service manual ?

In the mean time ,although I do not have great hopes in this procedure,

Here is something for you to try ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for waiting.

Had to lookup that code as it does vary from one model to the other.

For your model I`m afraid that this looks like a serious problem that will require repairs.

There are 3 boards that are possible culprits in this case that is the SC board which is the Y-sustain board and then the SD and SU boards which are connected directly to the SC , these boards work in close relation and are usually replaced all at the same time as most often one causes the other to fail.

The 3 of them cost around $225 to buy if you were to buy them yourself ,

Not sure if you had in mind to look into repairing this yourself but I can tell you that unless you are well versed in working with electronic components but this can get to be a tricky job.

Sorry but not exactly what I would recommend as a "do it yourself" job.

To have this repaired at home by a shop , you are looking at between 350 and $400 .

If you`d like to look into repairing this yourself ,I will help you along but I will be limited by the fact that I`m not there myself with tools and meters , also a voltmeter may be necessary at some point
If you go for the repair shop option then click on the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , this is a bit like buying insurances , it pays to shop around.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech