Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

HI, I am trying to hook up my television that just arrived

HI, I am trying to hook up my television that just arrived with my household goods. I can't seem to get past a blue screen and nothing appears as far as TV channels... It is a JVC LT-42Z49 LCD television, can anyone help me with this problem?
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you owned the set for?

Also, please tell me specifically how the cable box is connected to the TV.

I need to know which cables you're connecting between the Cable Box and TV, are they:

1)Red,White and Yellow
2)Red,Blue,Green,White and Red
3)HDMI cable
4)Coaxial cable

Also, how did the cable provider determine that the problem was not the box?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Aric,

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Well we just moved here to VA Beach from Italy, but our television is American. The television is connected by a black cable to the cable provider box (where it says "To TV") and from that box there is a cable going into the wall. There is only a black cable from the tv to the cable provider box (Verizon) The strange thing is, before we got our household goods we had an older "box" television and that worked fine. None of the cables have been touched, just put into a LCD television. we actually have two LCDs and they are both doing the same thing - showing blue screens and receiving no channels. I just got off the phone with VERIZON and they did a check on the box from their systems to see if it was possibly the box, but it is not. If we put the old TV back in right now it works fine!

Thank you for the reply.

The black cable that you have connected to the TV, this could be either an HDMI cable, or a coaxial cable and we need to know which.

Does the cable screw into the back of the TV?

Or is it a square end that simply plugs into the TV?

Also if you look at the back of this cable box, do you see a set of connections that are red,white and yellow?

Reason being is that we may need to use them with this TV.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Aric,

It is a coaxical female cable. It is actually an adapter we needed in order to screw on the cable...

Yes, there are red, white and yellow connections on the Verizon cable box(6) that are called one one side "Digital Audio Coax" and on the other side "Video" and on the back of the LCD tv as well of course.

Thank you.

What you will want to do is run a set of Red,White and Yellow RCA cables from the cable box to the Video Inputs on the TV, then select the "Video Input" on the TV using it's remote to activate the Cable Box signal on the TV.

The reason that you have no signal using the TV option (just a static screen), is that you'd need to setup the TV from scratch and run a channel auto scan in order to get a signal this way.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX my husband figured it out. we just have one last question . do we not lose picture quality using the RCA cables?

Excellent and I am glad to hear that. You do not lose picture quality using RCA red,white and yellow connections over the coaxial cable. These both deliver standard definition picture quality so one is not superior to the other.

If your box was high def, then you would have a set of jacks that are Red,Blue,Green,White and Red "Component Video" jacks. These are better quality and capable of 720P.

The best format of connection is HDMI which is also available on most High Def cable boxes and gives you 1080P.

If you need further assistance let me know and please take a moment to rate my service before you log off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question, Aric. Can I eventually put in a normal coax cable?

There is no reason to, but yes you could. You would need the TV manual and then to go back to the initial setup, and run a channel auto scan in order to use a coaxial.