Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Phillips wide screen wont turn on when power button is pus

Phillips wide screen wont turn on when power button is pushed
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Also, are there ANY signs of life at all on the TV (power light lit or blinking, click sound when power is pressed, etc.)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no power no signs of anything

Thanks for the reply TJ.

This can be caused by one of several things.

Let's try a hard reset of the TV. Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV for 10 seconds, then release and plug the set back in.

Press power once and let me know if the TV powers up even for a second.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok going to give it try

That sounds good, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing, no light no sound of tv turning on

This indicates that the power board, in the TV, is not powering up at all. The quick fix is that it could be simply that the fuse is blown. To access the fuse, you will need to remove the screws on the rear of the TV and remove the entire rear panel. The fuses will be located on the board where the power cord connects. Please do not visually inspect these, but rather use a DMM (multi-meter) to test across the fuse for continuity. If one or more is found blown, then replace with one of the same type and rating from your local Hardware store.

If the new fuse does not cure the problem then, there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets. The problem could also be a cracked solder joint, or failed IC regulator, in which case it would be more cost effective to replace the board itself. Average cost for this type of repair is going to be around $250 parts and labor.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If not, please do not forget to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you very much

You're welcome and I wish you the best of luck with the set.

If you need further assistance let me know, and please take a moment to rate my service before you log off.