Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

Hello Jack; I have the exact same problem as one of your customers

Hello Jack;
I have the exact same problem as one of your customers who asked for help a year ago. First of all I live in Canada and I don't know if you extend your help to Canadians. I hope so.
So as I was saying my problem also surrounds a 6 year old 50" Samsung
Plasma TV. My wife says she turned it on and heard a very loud popping noise and the screen went black.( or at least to a hazy warmup kind of grey color.) She was advised my someone o un plug it and try it in a different outlet, other than the powerbar it was plugged into. now when you plug it in it makes approx. 6 clicking sounds, a 6 second pause and then returns to clicking. this cycle continues until you unplug it from the out let. You cannot control the tv via the remote and it does not display picture or sound. I cannot afford another tv right now and I was hoping it my be a x sustain part, as was the previous customers problem. It is a Samsung model HP-T5064.
Can you help me Jack?
Thanks Bob
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

This problem can be literally several things including the Power Supply, the Y Sustain, and the Mainboard- among other things. Symptoms on these sets can bee the same and STILL mean there are several possible problems. There is not a quick fix or one size fits all answer to a clicking Samsung, and the most common cause of the clicking is not the X Sus board. The absolute ONLY way we will be able to narrow the problem down, is to open the TV up and using a Multi-Meter, check voltages and also perform visual inspection. Please let me know exactly what your level of experience is and how you would like to proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm afraid my level of experience in television repair is low and I do not own a multimeter. I was hoping it would be an obvious problem that I could just take off the back of the tv and r&r a part. I guess I need to start saving for a new tv instead

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the reply Bob, and unfortunately nobody can give you an answer based on the symptoms you have alone.

This problem can happen due to several things, and to determine which, a Technician would need to first inspect the Power Supply Board for signs of faulty Capacitors, as well as measure the voltages coming from the Power Supply.

The Power Supply is one of the most common causes of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $250 to have repaired.

The Mainboard, which carries the turn on signal to the power supply can also cause the Power Supply relay to click. If the Mainboard's signal is glitched due to a fault on the board, this problem can also happen. Average cost to have the mainboard replaced is around $275 parts and labor.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for producing the image on the Plasma display and are the HARDEST working boards in the set. They also incur the greatest amount of heat which can cause failures such as the one you are having. common failures for this type of TV. Average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.
If you'd like, you can locate a tech using the link below:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.