Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My Logitech Harmony Remote 7.3 does not immediately turn on

Customer Question

My Logitech Harmony Remote 7.3 does not immediately turn on the television when I hit the "watch tv" button. The sound comes on, but then I have to try to "fix the problem" multiple times before somehow, miraculously (?) the picture appears.

Help!

Barbara Gatlin
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Did this problem appear all of sudden/overnight or has been gradually getting worse over the last few days/weeks ?

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover or owner`s manual ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This problem happened suddenly and has not been getting worse.

The model # XXXXX my Samsung Series 7/750 is:LN46A750R1F

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k and when you say "the sound comes on" , is it the sound from the tv or do you have a sound/surround system for the sound ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

From the TV and maybe a speaker or two, but the full surround system has never worked properly.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then at this point I believe the problem is with the tv and your tv is in a serie that had problems with bad capacitors on the power board and I believe that you are seeing the first symptoms of this problem.

In which case you will be entitled to a free repair from Samsung.

This might be the case this time but the next couple of questions will tell me if that is indeed the case ;

Once the tv is warmed up , can you turn off and on again normally ?

To get it to turn on today , did you turn it off and on repeatedly until it finally came on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. no

2. yes

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Is the tv on right now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I am afraid to turn it off because of the "hassle" involved in getting it back on!

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem , in any case you will need to have it repaired at some point .

And yes you can leave the tv on until you get someone to repair it.

If the tv has been on for over an hour now then you should be able to turn it off and on again.

Try it with the power button directly on the tv or with the TV's original remote if you still have it.

No worry , it should work normally if the tv is warmed up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The original remote allowed me to turn the power off and then back on immediately. Perhaps I should use it until the problem with the logitech remote is fixed. It will certainly reduce my frustration level!

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This is not a Logitech remote issue , the problem is with the tv , namely bad capacitors issue.

If you turn off your tv overnight then you will have the same problem even with the original remote.

The good news is that you will be able to get a free repair from Samsung.

Give me a few minutes and I will give you the details and how to have this repaired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great! and thank you!

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

As I was saying , this is a common problem for this serie of Samsung tv and there has been a lawsuit settlement against Samsung for this issue and your tv has the first symptoms of this problem.

You can see the details at the link below;

http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

At this point what you need to do is to call Samsung at this number 1-(NNN) NNN-NNNNand specify the "capacitor issue" .

This problem usually gets worse over days/weeks until the tv does not turn on anymore .

You are at the first stage of that problem but it would get worse if not repaired , so if you are asked how long this problem appeared , just say a couple of weeks , this will not be a lie , just will get your case processed faster.

With your TV's model number I do know for sure that there are bad capacitors in there.

Give them a call at that number and for a tv of that size they will arrange for a repair shop to come to your home to repair this.

In the mean time you can leave the tv on , I have one with the same problem that has been on for two years now in the store window , just did get around to replace those capacitors :)

Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was just told by Samsung that this is not a capacitor problem; the tv is no longer under warranty, but they will send someone to make the repair for the amount charged for such a repair.

Oh well,

thanks for trying.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

LOL , I just wonder how they can diagnose that over the phone.

I am a repair tech. who see those things every days and I could bet my right arm that this is a capacitor issue.

I would watch that repairman closely and ask questions about the parts he is about to replace.

He could replace the whole power board and it would fix the problem but then the fault on the power board is caused by bad capacitors , which is the same issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wish you were here. I would hire you to fix it.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes I wish the same , would make it much easier.

Was thinking that Samsung may be tightening the screw on these free repairs , who knows , they may have spend the budget allocated for these recalls ??

Usually they will just say yessiree mam ,right away and thank you for buying Samsung products !

Again , make sure you get a description of the repair and let me know .

Also wanted to thank you for the "excellent rating " and great bonus.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to say that because of your expertise and my insistence, a Samsung repairman just fixed my tv for no cost! You saved me much money; thank you, Jack!
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Well . now that makes me happy to hear that.

I just knew that this was a capacitor issue .

Thanks for the feedback and happy listening :)