Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Panasonic PT-61DLX76 will not turn on. The light will turn

My Panasonic PT-61DLX76 will not turn on. The light will turn green for about 1 second and it will make the sound like it is going to come on just before it powers off. I changed the bulb and am still having the same problems. Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What does the light on the front do when it shuts off? (if it flashes, what is the code, example: 5 blinks pause 5 blinks pause repeat)
-How old is the unit?
-Any problems with the tv before this? (taking longer to come on, shutting off, picture issues, etc.)
-Any storms or power issues when it first would not come on?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Normal audible clicking sound to turn on before it flashes green twice and clicks again to power off. We had a lightening storm 36 hours ago with 2 short power losses. The tv worked fine for about 12 hours until current issue started. My tv is plugged into a power strip with surge protector. I thought that it might be the surge protector and have tried it directly into the wall, but still does the same thing.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
After the green twice, the light goes out and does not blink again?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
That is a very odd failure for this tv, normally it will blink an error code when it fails. This leads me to believe we most likely have an issue with the microprocessor/main board in the tv.

I want to confirm a few things though...first you said this is exactly the same thing the tv was doing before you replace the lamp right?

Second, after changing the lamp you put the lamp door back on tight, correct?

Thanks,
tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes to both. I read in the owners manual that a non-secure lamp door can cause it to not power up so I have verified that it is properly closed and locked.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so I want to test and see if any function of the tv is working properly...so go ahead and take the lamp door off, then try to turn the tv on, does it shut down with an error code now?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It produces the exact same result as before.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK that is definitely a problem. I would say we have a bad main board here, there is a slight chance we have a power supply issue. Some internal troubleshooting would be needed at this point to know for sure. I would say though, you have a 95% chance of having a main board failure...if its not even sensing the lamp door off the tv that is a major problem.

The problem doesnt stop here, the part number for the main board is LSXA0775. I cannot find anyone who has it in stock, everyone says its discontinued and no longer available. When it was available though it was about $550. I cant even find any used ones on ebay right now.

I am sorry for the bad news Steve, I was hoping for an easy fix today not a terminal diagnosis.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.