Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Toshiba 50hm66 that had a new bulb replaced last year.

I have a Toshiba 50hm66 that had a new bulb replaced last year. A few days ago the tv would not turn on. When powering up after being unplugged, the yellow light flashes very quickly two times. Then the blue light comes on steady while the green light starts to flash 5 times. After that the green and blue go out and the yellow comes on and stays on. After all that I try to turn on the TV with a remote and by the power button on the TV and nothing happens. No change in light. If I hold down the power button long enough the lights go out and I hear the TV click and reset. It goes through the same cycle again and no response to the power button.
I purchased a new bulb from some one that was selling old stock but it was an OEM and guaranteed to work. After installing this there was no change in the TV. The TV is not worth fixing but hoping that these are trouble codes that some can tell me more about. Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
HI!

Did you put the lamp door back on tight? The steady yellow means the lamp door is not on the tv.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay good call on the lamp door. Now that it is tight the TV is doing something different. The yellow light has gone out, the blue light is steady and the green light is flashing constantly. I reset the TV and still the same.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Was the lamp you took out physically shattered or broken in any way?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it looked perfect. It was less then a year old and the TV has not moved nor any lightning taking strikes or power surges that we know of. Nothing else being taken out in the house by such things. The bulb looked good and so I tried to test it with an ohms meter which read infinite. That is why I got the new bulb but then found out that you can't test the bulb with an ohms meter (Yes I know...a little knowledge can be dangerous haha).

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK, so is what the tv is doing now exactly the same as before you changed the lamp?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, no response to the power button. I'm not sure what the lights were doing as opposed to now but the yellow light just keeps blinking

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Now the yellow light is blinking? I thought you said the blue light was steady and green flashing? What changed?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh sorry. I meant the green light is flashing constantly in a steady rhythm. (it looks yellow when the yellow light is off). This is the light to the right of the blue light.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK the green light is flashing, are all the other lights out?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

after plug it in (after tightening the lamp cover) the Blue light is on steady and the green light flashes the same non-stop.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK that means we have a fan that has failed inside the tv.

This is pretty common, troubleshooting will be needed to determine which fan has failed and then it will need to be replaced.

If you use a tech to do this, normally it runs around $150-200 to have this done.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks. I'm confident enough where I can pull some fans and check if they are bad. I can see loads of dust inside the lamp fan so it would be good to take apart and clean out anyway. I hope this does the trick since we can't afford another TV yet.

BTW I see you were Navy, thanks for serving!

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK sounds good, let me know if you need anything at all Marco, happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks!
TIm