Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Hello from Michigan. My visio is turning on only. After that

Hello from Michigan. My visio is turning on only. After that it is a blank black screen, and nothing else works. The serial # XXXXX XXXXX and made OCT 07. What do you guys think?
Hello and thank you for the question.

When you say it's turning on only, does the screen backlight, and do you get the Vizio logo on the screen for a second or two?

If you press MENU, will MENU show on the screen?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no and no

Thank you for the reply.

There was three questions actually, so when you say the TV is "turning on" what indicator do you have the set is on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only the green light at the bottom right

Thank you Brian.

This problem can be caused by one of several things.

Let's try a hard reboot of the TV. Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the touch sensitive power button on the TV itself for 10 seconds. Then plug the set back in and press power once.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok where is the touch button?

The power button on the TV Bryan.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. it wont turn off and when I unplug it the light turns yellow

If you're unplugging the actual TV itself (not the cable box), then light will go out, give it a few seconds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do and after everything is off I hold the power button for 10 seconds the then I turn it back on and the light turns green with a soft thump through the speakers. The screen is still black. I am not hooked up to the cable right now.

Okay, you don't have to be hooked up to the cable- simply press MENU, Input, or Volume on the TV, or original TV remote and let me know if anything at all shows up on the screen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing not even the no signal words

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, the Mainboard, or the Power Supply output to the Mainboard on your set has failed. They work in tandem to allow the set to turn on, the Power Supply provides the voltages to various circuits in the TV, and the Mainboard contains much of the communication required for the Power Supply to turn on. The power supply is the board that the AC cord connects to inside the TV.

Often times, one or more capacitors on this board fail, and will give you these symptoms. The Mainboard is the board directly mounted to the rear panel of the set, that routes and processes all of the AV signals to the TV. This is a common mode of failure for these sets. Average cost or this type of repair is around $250-$300 parts and labor.

There is no reset or series of buttons you can press to fix this problem, and the set will require service.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area: