Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have a six year old Sony Bravia Model number KDL-46VL 160. All

I have a six year old Sony Bravia Model number KDL-46VL 160.
All of a sudden half of the screen went almost black with only reds coming through. The other half is just about normal. I left the TV on for approx. an hour and nothing changed. Is this an ATT Uversre problem? If it is my problem what appears to be the malfunction? All other systems seem to be working fine.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

p0llinate :

You mentioned uverse, can you tell me if you have this problem with any other sources (dvd player, video game, etc) on this tv?

p0llinate :

If other sources are working normally, then it's probably a bad cable box or a bad cord.

Customer:

All systems are working. We have two other tv's that are on the system.

p0llinate :

I'm not referring to other tvs. Just this one.

p0llinate :

This is most likely a failure of the display (screen) on the sony.

p0llinate :

The only way to isolate this further to be certain of that is to know if other devices are working on the sony.

p0llinate :

If it only happens on this tv, with this cable box, we know it's source issue. If it happens on other sources (like dvd) then we know it's a tv problem.

p0llinate :

It is unlikely to be a uverse issue, but is still worth checking.

Customer:

Should I put another cable box on to see if things work on this tv and put the bad one on another tv, Will this tell me anything. As far as repair of the tv is it worth it or should I get a new one?

p0llinate :

Do you have anything besides another cable box to test?

p0llinate :

If not, yes you can check another cable box.

Customer:

I can get the box off another tv and try it.That's all I have to test with.

p0llinate :

And repairing the tv would not be worth it. This is a fairly common problem with these tvs, and is usually caused by a bad display panel (really the tabs that connect the display to the other internals of the system). In the end though, the display has to be replaced, which costs far more than a new tv.

p0llinate :

Okay

Customer:

So calling a service tech at $125 is a waste of $'s

p0llinate :

Assuming the other box doesn't help, you would be at the point of needing to replace the tv. It is long past the warranty at the 6 year mark here, but because it was a common problem, I have seen Sony extend coverage in some cases, so it would be worth a few minutes of your time to give them a call at 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN and see if they would offer any consideration for repairs. They may do something for you, even if it's to offer a discount toward a new set.

Customer:

Thanks and have a good weekend

p0llinate :

Yes, having a tech come out would be a waste, they'd tell you the same thing, that the display would need to be replaced. There are a few other possibilities too, but you're typically looking at a repair in the $300+ range no matter what the problem is,

p0llinate :

so for a set this age and size, a new tv almost always makes more sense.

p0llinate :

If you'd like a recommendation for a replacement model, or have any other questions, just let me know.

Customer:

What is a good replacement. This is a 50 to 60 inch size I need.

p0llinate :

In general, I recommend the panasonic plasma tv's for most of my clients. They have a great picture, are reasonable price, and tend to be quite reliable.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50-100 (depending on size) which is well worth it.

Customer:

OK

p0llinate :

Here is one example

Customer:

Signing out now

p0llinate :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.