Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

This TV will play just fine for about 2 minutes and like clockwork

This TV will play just fine for about 2 minutes and like clockwork the back light will turn off but the sound will continue

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

p0llinate :

This is most likely a bad inverter, based on what you've described.

p0llinate :

Is this something you're looking to repair yourself, or just trying to get an idea of the problem and an estimate of the cost to fix?

Customer:

Repair myself

p0llinate :

Have you done any diagnostics yet, checking for obvious visual signs like bad caps?

p0llinate :

Do you still see an image on the display when this happens? (to confirm it is backlight going out)?

Customer:

Yes there are no signs of bad caps on the power supply

Customer:

Looking from the back with the access panel off the back light goes out

p0llinate :

Okay, it is most likely a bad inverter then. There are actually 2 of them, a master and slave,

p0llinate :

you can buy them both as a pair quite cheaply (used),

p0llinate :

so it would make the most sense to just buy the pair and swap both out at the same time,

Customer:

Does this model have a common history of the display going bad?

p0llinate :

I have seen several instances with this model failing, at multiple failure points including the inverter and power supply.

p0llinate :

But since you've checked the power supply caps already, and especially since sound seems to continue working, I'd expect it is the inverter. If the display it self was going, the light may stay on

Customer:

Should I take a chance on the inverters?

p0llinate :

That would be my first step, unless you want to buy a service manual and do some testing with a multimeter.

p0llinate :

A lot of times the service manual would cost you about as much as this part, and if the inverter didn't help in the end, you could always return it, or sell it

Customer:

Since the price is good to invest I think I will try the inverters

p0llinate :

and move on to other possibilities.

p0llinate :

If the inverters cost more, I would go the other way and spend your time and money on testing first,

p0llinate :

but in this case, I think it's a safe bet to just buy the part and swap them out.

Customer:

You have answered well

Customer:

I am a newbie so may I ask since I am a premimum member will I be charged for this session?

p0llinate :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX by chance doesn't work, feel free to get back in touch.

p0llinate :

Well when you say premium member, I'm assuming you mean you have a monthly subscription plan?

p0llinate :

If so, then the cost should be covered by your subscription.

Customer:

yes monthly

Customer:

That's great!

Customer:

You have helped me a great deal even if we don't follow up later

p0llinate :

Good :)

Customer:

Giving you an excellent rating!

p0llinate :

Greatly appreciated, thank you!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

p0llinate :

Ooops had ratings locked, open now, sorry about that.