Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Red light on front is flashing and it does not turn on. This

Red light on front is flashing and it does not turn on.
This is my secound reciver in a year with the same problem.
Can this be repaired?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the receiver,

p0llinate :

there are a few possible causes of this issue,

p0llinate :

The shut down is usually a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage.

This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.

p0llinate :

You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.

If this doesn’t change anything, we can try a microprocessor reset.

Customer:

Can I have this repaired?

Customer:

This is the secound reciver in the last year to do the same thing

p0llinate :

It depends what the problem is, it's quite possible that something is connected wrong and causing this, or that it can be cleared by a quick reset.

p0llinate :

If none of that helps, then repairs would be the last resort. Being a 2012 model, as long as you purchased it from an authorized retailer, you should be covered under the Denon warranty still.

p0llinate :

For the microprocessor reset, you'd start with the receiver off (standby mode), then press and hold the <<| and |>> buttons on the front of the receiver, while turning back on with the power/standby button, keep holding all 3 until you hear a click or the display starts flashing, then release.

Customer:

I had it set up by a home theater installer

p0llinate :

If the red light is still flashing at that point (nothing connected, after reset) and the receiver won't power on, then there is an internal problem and it would indeed require repairs.

p0llinate :

It was likely installed properly, or this issue would have happened at that time too. What can happen is that over time a wire comes loose, the system is moved around to connect something new, shifted during cleaning/dusting, etc, causing a stray wire to short out the system.

Customer:

Okay, it has nothing connected to it and I have a green light

p0llinate :

So it turns on normally then, with all the speakers/components disconnected?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

The home theater guy said there is no short in the speakers he tested them?

p0llinate :

Okay, then that means there was a short somewhere,

p0llinate :

even the tiniest single strand of wire touching the back of the receiver would cause this

p0llinate :

twist all the wires tightly and reinsert them one at a time and see if the problem comes back.

p0llinate :

You'll either find that one of the speakers/wires is bad, or you'll fix the stray wire and it will return to normal operation

Customer:

Okay, then the best bet is to hook it back up and see if it works?

p0llinate :

Yes exactly

p0llinate :

Now it is possible that there isn't actually a short, but that the speakers you're trying to use are not appropriate for the receiver (if you're using bose cube speakers without the acoustimass module, for example), or the impedance is wrong, it would hurt the amplifier and cause it to shut down.

Customer:

Okay, so do it one speaker at a time, then turn it on, right?

p0llinate :

Yes, that will help you isolate the issue, in case there is a bad speaker cable somewhere.

p0llinate :

I've seen times where everything looked okay, but a cat had chewed the speaker cords along the baseboard and caused a short between + and - wires

Customer:

okay, thanks

p0llinate :

You're welcome.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.