Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main
18621325

I have a Toshiba 42HL196. When I try to channel up or down,

I have a Toshiba 42HL196. When I try to channel up or down, certain channels cause the TV to go dark, no sound. The light in front stays blue. After about 10 seconds, the TV shuts off, and comes back on after about 3 seconds, set to the last channel it successfully hit. It's always the same channels, so my husband and I have removed the bad channels from our program lineup, but we're now up to about half our channels, since we don't have cable and use bunny ears to get broadcast only.

We've already dealt with the blinking red light of death, my husband replaced the part successfully about 6 months ago.

help!
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

Are the bunny ears a powered source for receiving channels or are they just free with no power going to them?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they are a powered source.

Lori

Hi Lori

Its a really odd problem what you are describing that makes me think the rabbit ears are bad, it is unusual however their is a powersupply in the rabbit ears that can go bad and this bad instability can get on the signal lines and cause havoc with the set

You will need to replace these to eliminate them unless you have another way to receive temporary just to confirm that?

Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a second set of antennae in the house. I'll try hooking them up and see what happens.

It might take a while, I have to remove that heavy beast from the wall to switch the cables.

Lori

Hi Lori

Yes please do that as I say the symptoms you are describing are bizzare its the only thing I can imagine causing that

Let me know when your ready no rush

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay,

I hooked up the second set of antennae (no power source on these) to the Ant 1 jack, still had the same channels as on the powered antennae. Since I'd already deleted the channels that cause the issue, I tried re-scanning, and the same issue happened, but this time when the scan got to 72%. Screen went dark (lost backlighting) for 10 seconds, then powered off for 20 seconds, then came back on to last successful channel. The blue light stayed on in front the entire time.

I tried manually adding in the channels that always trip this thing, and yes, channel 9-1 and 2-3 still cause the issue.

To be safe, I repeated the same exercise on Ant 2, and again, the issue happened at 72% scan.

I get no channels without an antenna.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hi Lori

And just to confirm it DOES only happen on certain channels you have tried another signal source?

If you use a dvd player is this oK doesnt cause any issues?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have a DVD player and a Roku, neither of which have cause problems. It's with broadcast TV only, and happens on the same channels every time. now it's also happening when i scan for channels.

Lori

Hi Lori

The set has a very unusual fault, the way I see it is their is a sweep diode and transistor within the tuner section area of the set now two things can be happening either the supply tuning voltage is unstable or low or one of those components is breaking down and tripping the set at a particular voltage sorry if you dont understand that ultimately what it will mean is that the tuner board usually incorporated on the mainboard will need to be replaced (the mainboard usually) are you able to carry out this work yourself?I will provide more detailed info once I know

A tech would charge around $300 to replace the mainboard you can locate a tech in your area by using this link www.tvrepairpros.com

Let me know if you need more info or can do work yourself

Many Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband is familiar with electronics, as I said before, he replaced the power source about 6 months ago.

So yes, if you could send more detailed info, that would be great.

Lori

Hi LORI

Just trying to get that info for you please just give me 10 to 15mins

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I found a part, Turner Board PE0044A V28A00001 ENG36A51GF is that the part I'm looking for? I looked it up on the same web parts store I bought the power source from....

Lori

Hi Lori

I'm not sure you need to get the partnumber from the tuner board itself

OK your looking at two candidates for the problem the tuner board or the seine mainboard I would try the tuner board first as it will be cheaper like I said above google that I use shopjimmy.com so try there first.
If that doesnt fix it the mainboard is the board to the right may have a fan near it again use the partnumber their are about 10 different boards for this set so its very important to use partnumbers for both boards

Let me know if you need more info
Please remember to rate the answer.Thank You.the session always remains open even after rating

Many Thanks
Anthony
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience TV expert in the main