Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

The picture on my toshiba rear projection tv TP55d80 is out

Customer Question

The picture on my toshiba rear projection tv TP55d80 is out of proportion with the picture elongated vertically. Can I correct that - have tried everything in my owners manual. This unit is 18 years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?

Or directly to cable from the wall outlet
Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?

If so, do they appear to have the same problem ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Direct TV receiver, however via the DVD player which must be on tor the tv to receive DTV. Yes to the DVD player obviously. No distortion upon playing a video disc.

I used the Toshiba remote according to manual instructions which are brief and simple as well as ineffective. and used the DTV remote separately to try to remedy the vertical elongation. Surround sound.

The elongation was not present until I thought the picture was wider than the screen, messed with it with the current result.

DTVhome tech service call could not help

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then just to make sure I get this all correctly ;

You are saying that the picture is normal when playing a dvd , correct ?

You get the elongated picture only when watching the direct tv box , correct ?

The only thing I am not getting here is that you are saying that the dvd must be on in order to get the direct tv (DTV) picture ??

Is it a dvd/vcr unit that you feed the signal from the dtv in order to record shows ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No. At the installation of the HD receiver the the tech said the only connection to receive DTV he could make was through the DVD player- why, I don't know. The distortion just occurred as I explained in my last response that my messing around with the TV to make the picture just fill the screen.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Can you give me the model number of that dvd ?

And if you could confirm ;

1 . picture is o.k when playing a dvd ?

2. problem exist only when watching dtv from direct tv receiver ?

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Reason for asking these questions here is that I need to know why the dvd "player" has to be online in order to get the satellite receiver working.

Normally they would be connected separately , so this is a bit of a mystery here and I will likely need to know how these components are connected together.

Your tv has very simple functions and no zoom or picture format option , so the problem has to be external if the tv is working correctly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not concerned with the "mystery" of anything but how to make a tv adjustment to correct a change that occurred when I made an adjustment to the TV picture to narrow the image to fit the screen. If that change narrowed the image to cause vertical elongation, why can't that change be reversed to the image before my ajustment?

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k , I`ll try to explain my line of thinking here .

You are telling me that one unit (dvd) is giving you a picture that is normal while the other unit (direct tv) has an elongated picture.

The only way I can see that there would be a difference is that the problem is with the direct tv box.

And again I will repeat this , that is if the picture is normal with the dvd .

Your tv does not have options to have different settings for separate input and then again I don`t really know if they are connected to the tv separately as you are saying that the dvd must be on in order to watch the direct tv.

At this point with all the info missing for me to tell you what is going on , I would say look on the direct tv remote for a button that may be called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I must abandon this effort to see to my ill spouse for the night so I cannot continue at this time. I will repeat that the only time that the aspect changed was when I purposely tried to narrow it. It did not occur simultaneously with the installation of the DTV receiver or how it was installed. It occurred with a deliberate act on my part that I wish to reverse. If there is no Toshiba adjustment there is no adjustment to correct. Good night

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

No problem , I`m sure this problem can be resolved if this is just a case of configuration/adjustment but I need to have more details in order to help you with this and a good start would be to answer the questions below;

That dvd , is it a surround sound system ?

If so , how is the direct tv box connected to it, what type of cables ?

Also , could you give me the model number of that unit ?

Which remote were you using while trying to narrow the picture ?

Tv ,dvd or direct tv remote ?

If you could give me those answers , we could continue this tomorrow.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

DVD is CineVision 1000 and is part of the TV, and Tuner surround sound.

The DirectTV box is a simple HD

I was using the Direct TV Remote,

Cable Connections: The Direct TV cable is connected from wall connector to the Receiver.

From the DTV receiver Yellow video out, White audio out, Red audio out.

Those cables branch out at the other end to the DVR. DVD/VCR out column has Red, audio out right, down to white audio Left, down to yellow video. VCR in column has white audio and down to yellow video

The power must be on the DVD player and the selection on VCR or the picture will be off the TV although the TV shows power on as does the DTV receiver.

The DVD/VCR has a cable that supplies the same picture and sound as the Toshiba to a supplemental Small TV used in an adjacent exercise area. The picture on the small tv is not out of proportion as is the Toshiba.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then if you were using the direct tv remote , look at the link below and tell me if that is your direct tv remote;

http://www.directv.com/cms2/support/answer_center/remotes/RC65_Remote_Guide.pdf

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes this the remote

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then ;

When you press the FORMAT button , what happens ?

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.
By the way ,try to press it more than once
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

last reply I pressed it over and over and recorded the results and replied to you

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Guess I did not get that last reply because I cannot see anything here that mentions that format button except for my mention of it.

So , please try it again ;

Does it make a difference or have any effects ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

480i stretch format

480i pillar box forma

480i original format (screen format is unaltered)

480i Crop format

Next round they go to 480p and then back to 480i

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.
o.k and does any of those format reduces the elongated picture or seems to fit the tv correctly?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how do you make the selection valid. Just leave it on one of the formats until it leaves the screen?

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

It should stay on whichever format you`ve chosen last .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

rotated eight times without change

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k but when you press the format button you see these selections ?

480i stretch format

480i pillar box format

480i Crop format

And none of them make a difference in the way the picture appears on the screen ??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

none and went through 480 p 's also which is the reason for eight rotations

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Right now , what do you have ?

Is it the pillar box type of screen ?

That is with black bars on either sides ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no bars full picture on screen elongated vertically

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.
About that direct tv box , is there a model number or name on it that you could give me ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I must break away to see to dinner for my wife. I will check that out and respond later so leave the light on Jack

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.
No problem Richard , take your time