Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

My Samsung TV has developed 3 horizontal lines and some ghosting.

My Samsung TV has developed 3 horizontal lines and some ghosting. What is the problem? Is it worth trying to fix?
Purchased 2008
Model LNT4661F 46"
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Did these lines and the ghosting occur suddenly, or over time?

Also, are they there regardless of watching DVD,, Cable Box, etc.?

If you bring up the TV's MENU (not the cable box MENU), are the lines and ghosting present OVER the MENU image?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The 3 horizontal lines appeared about 3 months ago and would go out after about 15 minutes now they are permanent. We have a box with Comcast cable.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

In order to tell you if this is repairable or not, I really do need the answer to the last question asked. Specifically:

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry this took some time .The menu has the lines through it(TV menu)

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes the lines are over the TV menu

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The last thing I need to know is how thick the lines are and if they ever move, flutter or change?

This determines whether we have an inexpensive repair or a detrimental repair.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They are permanent they do not move and the three horizontal lines are about the size of a pencil,The ghosting is on the right side.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
I know this may sound "nit-picky", but it's important.

Are the lines Black- if not what color are they?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Aric,

The lines are white, evenly spaced, and less than a sixteenth of an inch in size.

George

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you George. These lines are either caused by the T-Con board (LCD timing controller), or the LCD panel itself is failing. The only way to tell at this stage is to have the T-Con replaced (around a $150 job), and if the lines are still there then the LCD panel itself has failed and this is not cost effective to replace. The cost of a new panel is more than what the TV costs when new.

I wish I had better news, but this problem does indeed look more to be an LCD panel problem, than a T-Con problem and I would personally, if in your shoes, put the same money into a new set.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.