Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have used my Viewsonic Monitor with built in webcam successfully

I have used my Viewsonic Monitor with built in webcam successfully for approx. 6 years without any problem until now.

It is a VX2255wm series LCD Display with Plug & Play.

About two weeks ago, it suddenly stopped functioning properly. When I turn it on, it immediately goes off showing only a blank screen and I cannot use it for anything.

Can you tell me how to fix the problem?

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the viewsonic,

p0llinate :

can you clarify something for me, when you say it goes off, does it power down entirely, or does it seem like just the screen is turning off?

p0llinate :

If you try to turn it on, and look very closely at the screen (hold a flashlight up to it), do you see any images, even though it may not be lit up?

p0llinate :

In either case this would indicate an internal hardware defect. Most likely it's the power supply going out (aging parts, capacitors cracking or drying out), which would explain it not powering on properly, or at all. If you can see an image, but no lighting, then the inverter that powers the backlight has most likely gone out.

p0llinate :

Either of these would require repairs to correct, and for a monitor of this size and age (circa 2008), they just aren't practical to fix. Even a new monitor isn't worth fixing once the typical 90 day or 1 year warranty is up. It is almost always cheaper to buy a new one, as you'd spend several hundred dollars in parts and labor for repairs.

p0llinate :

For example, you could upgrade to a 24" monitor, with LED technology, for under $200

ASUS VK248H-CSM 24-Inch Full-HD LED-... (click for link)

You could also get monitor comparable to your current viewsonic (22inch, but also upgraded to LED, though minus the webcam) for about $160:

ViewSonic VA2212M-LED 22-Inch LED-Li... (click for link)

p0llinate :

If you'd wish to pursue repairs of your viewsonic, which I would caution against for practical financial reasons, I can try to help you find a local shop.

p0llinate :

If you think you're up to repairing it yourself, I can try to help you find parts, but from a brief search I've done already, this model is so long discontinued that ViewSonic has stopped making parts, and you'd likely only be able to find used ones, if you got lucky, on ebay.