Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

my vizio vf551xvt screen is totally out. tv comes on and has

Customer Question

my vizio vf551xvt screen is totally out. tv comes on and has audio. I wish to find out the cause and what to do to fix it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-If you push the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?
-if you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. The screen is total out. Can't see anything on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim, the screen is totally out, can't see nothing with or without flash light.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
If there is no glow to the screen then you have a backlight problem, this is either a bad power supply, main board or led driver board.

Do you have/know how to use a meter?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Have taken voltage readings on power supply cn2,3,4&5 and get readings per shown on the board by the connector.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
All output voltages of the power supply are good?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They read as printed by each connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I believe so as they are as printed on the board be each connect plug to the board.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Look really close at the screen in a dark room, just as you turn it on...do you see a slight glow to the screen for a split second?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not a flicker of light. When the screen first died, it was a dark picture for a few seconds then went totally dark and staying that way.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
You say it do that just one time or several times when you turned it on?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just one time. I turned the tv on and the screen dimly lite with a dark picture then proceeded to fade out to totally dark. It displays no sign of light at all when turned on since that first time.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like we have a bad LED driver board then.

6917L-0012b sit the part number you need, looks like about $80 on ebay is the only place I can find them.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.