Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

sharp lc 52le810un TV repair

I have a sharp lc 52le810un TV. I had the TV wall mounted on a swivel mount and I went to turn the mount. I noticed a spark and the tv shocked me. My directv box that was connected to the tv smoked. I found out that the problem was the TV power cord got pinched and it shorted against the TV frame. Somehow that killed my directv box (no problem another is on the way :). But now after I have fixed the short in the cord the TV will not come on at all. The power light at the bottom initially is solid but then it gives some type of trouble code. 3 slow flashes followed by 1 quick flash. It does that over and over but the TV never comes on. Im thinking It could be the power supply. Im wondering what an expert thinks before I waste the money. Does this some like a power supply or something else. If the power supply was dead would the trouble light even come on?

Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear about what happened with the tv,

p0llinate :

this certainly sounds like there is some internal damage, likely the main board fried by the short in the power line,

p0llinate :

Can you tel me if the flashing light you saw was only the power light, or if the OPC light blinks at all too?

p0llinate :

If so, what is the pattern?

Customer:

only the power light blinks

Customer:

no other lights work

Customer:

I think its the power light

Customer:

whats the opc light

Customer:

its the light that shapped like a V

Customer:

the patter is. 3 slow flashes, 1 quick flash

Customer:

repeat over and over

Customer:

you there?

p0llinate :

Yes I'm here

Customer:

oh ok

p0llinate :

just saw your responses, sorry

p0llinate :

opc is toward the lower right corner of the display, for "optimal picture"

Customer:

no. its the power light then. dead center

p0llinate :

the error code you're getting indicates communication error, meaning a failure on the main board.

Customer:

no other lights work

p0llinate :

It's also possible there are other faults on other boards, but this is the first code that is coming up.

p0llinate :

Are you looking to do a self repair?

Customer:

honestly

p0llinate :

Or trying to get an idea of repair costs to have it serviced?

Customer:

Im a home theater installer

Customer:

happened to customers tv

Customer:

one of my guys ran a wire incorrectly

Customer:

trying to decide if we can get it repair or just have to buy the customer a new tv

p0llinate :

Aaah got it.

Customer:

Im capable of swaping some boards. Soldering etc.

Customer:

dont want to waste money and still have to buy a TV anyway

p0llinate :

That would be my worry as well,

p0llinate :

the short that happened is equivalent to a power surge in terms of the damage that may have been caused;

p0llinate :

so there is a fair chance you could swap out the main board and still have to end up doing the power supply too, or the inverter, etc

Customer:

yeah. that's too many potentials

p0llinate :

I'm primarily a home theater installer myself

p0llinate :

if this happened on one of my jobs, I'd just consider it a loss, file a claim with my liability insurance policy, and buy the customer a new tv

Customer:

really. Thats awesome. Watch those wires on those full motion mounts.

Customer:

LOL

p0llinate :

but that is mostly in the interest of time. Even if I knew I could fix it,

Customer:

my insurance deductible is $500

Customer:

not worth the rate increase

p0llinate :

I wouldn't feel right leaving the customer without a tv for weeks waiting on parts, and for me to have time to fix it.

p0llinate :

That's too bad

Customer:

yeah. just happened today

Customer:

told them to give us to monday

p0llinate :

If it were me, I'd buy them a new comparable tv, probably at costco so you can grab one locally,

p0llinate :

then you could always get this one fixed at your own pace and use it for yourself, sell it to another customer, etc

Customer:

What do you think a fair replacement is for that TV

Customer:

52" about three years old

p0llinate :

Considering you can get a 55" lcd for around $700 with comparable features, and the realistic useful life span on these is about 6 years, I'd think fair market value would be in the $500 range (being generous)

p0llinate :

Maybe offer to pick them up a comparable one in the 800 range, and kick in 500 toward it if they'll pay the balance to meet them part way.

Customer:

People never seem to understand depreciation and the value of what they have

p0llinate :

And for what it's worth, you're not alone. I've never got a power cord like that, but I've pinched an hdmi and optical cable before, so I know what a pain they can be.

Customer:

they cant get what the paid for it out of their heads

p0llinate :

And it was double what the same model would sell for today.

Customer:

this was our first time. I thought for sure when I got the call it was a power surge issue

p0llinate :

I'd at least try explaining it to them, and if they balk at it just say you'll replace the tv and get the most basic model you can, knowing you can find a vizio one for 600 if you're really pressed for it.

Customer:

Im glad directv replaced that box

Customer:

that would have really sucked

p0llinate :

Me too, they must have the $5/mo warranty plan on their account, got lucky there.

Customer:

yep. had the warranty

Customer:

thanks for all your help. let me do some tv prices checking :(

p0llinate :

You're welcome! Sorry you're stuck in this situation, I feel for ya man.

Customer:

Do you do alot of TV installations in your area

p0llinate :

I do, yes

p0llinate :

more full home theaters, speaker installs, etc. But I hang a lot of flat panels too

Customer:

I do a good share of home theaters. but flat panels keep me busy

Customer:

at least a couple a day

p0llinate :

Ya they're good for business. Bad for your back.

Customer:

lol. yep

Customer:

again thanks for all your help. Good night

p0llinate :

You're welcome.

p0llinate :

Should you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.