Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

TV stuck in AV mode. remote will not work. this has been an

TV stuck in AV mode. remote will not work. this has been an intermittent problem. I would kill power by pulling cord and then replug in and then everything worked. Now, that is not working. now when I replug in, it comes up in AV mode and TV chirps. Any ideas? Thanks

LG 42LE5400
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 11 months ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Will the tv turn off or not even that?
-Does it turn on every time?
-Any other problems before? (taking longer to come on, picture issues, etc.)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

TV will not turn on or off. TV is two and half years old. IT will play dvd's as it is stuck in AV.

It comes on as soon as you plug it in?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

well, as it has normally done, yes the lights on fromt panel all light and come on and then chirps and goes into AV mode.

Chirps, just once or over and over again? Does the noise coming from the speaker or the back of the tv?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

chirps once from front of tv. One time I replugged TV in and held the imput button down and it chirped three times and came up in the menu mode. but remote and panel buttons didn't work and then after 15 secs reverted to the stuck AV mode.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $125-$150 to fix the set.

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $200-$300 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the control board, this would mean the board would need to be replaced. Normally this runs $125-225.

Either of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, I figured it was electronic. Should I bring the set to a LG place or is this something that a typical TV repairman to the home can handle?

Any decent tv repairman should be able to fix this. I would recommend www.tvrepairpros.com to find a shop in your area. The shops on that list are NESDA members so they should be the best of the best.

Let me know if I can do anything at all for you Thomas.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.