Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

Vizio vf550xvt I have this TV and I repair for LG TVs

Vizio vf550xvt

I have this TV and I repair for LG TV's but I can not figure out what is going on on this TV, Only 1/2 screen is lit and the other is fine. I have changed the Tcon and pulled the flat Tcon and reseated and checked the ribbon cable as well as the LVDS cables are all working. Just 1/2 the panel is blank. WHat to do.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

Anthony F. :

Hello. Please BE aware This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and money

Anthony F. :

the LCD DISPLAY is bad

Anthony F. :

I have seen it a number of times

Anthony F. :

there is nothing you can do

Anthony F. :

time for a new tv

Anthony F. :

this is not repairable

Anthony F. :

the cost of a new lcd will exceed the cost of a new tv by 2x

Anthony F. :

your best bet is to SELL the boards on EBAY to recover your investment

Customer:

I am a tech, that is correct for the common person, I am cert in LG, Sony, Vizio but I am stumped, I know this can be repaired by opening up the display. One of my customers asked me to cart it off when I said the same thing. So I have said that, do you know anything about Panels?

Anthony F. :

if you open the panal there are 2 boards fed by the tcon

Anthony F. :

one is responsible for each side of the screen

Anthony F. :

there are NO parts you can service on these boards

Anthony F. :

the only i have doone in the past

Anthony F. :

is removed square capacitors that shorted out

Anthony F. :

killing the supply to that section of the board

Anthony F. :

its a long shot

Customer:

another tech told me the same thing, also about a resistor, so you are saying they are surface mount on these boards?

Anthony F. :

yes

Anthony F. :

and the panal itself is laminated connections

Anthony F. :

so you have to realy be careful with heat

Anthony F. :

i have removed shorted caps before and plugged it in it worked

Customer:

I am ISO9001 cert on surface mount so what do you think, could I possible do this?

Anthony F. :

i buttoned it up and thanked the gods!!

Customer:

the caps on the board under the LCD, this is what we are talking about

Anthony F. :

there is no tech data so you have to fly by the seat of your pants

Anthony F. :

as long as the owner understands this is a long shot

Anthony F. :

the panal could wind up WORSE than it is now

Customer:

yep I understand there is no data,

Anthony F. :

not that it matters

Customer:

I am hte owner

Anthony F. :

but i shy away from these jobs for that reason

Anthony F. :

I might fix it

Anthony F. :

I might make it worse

Anthony F. :

as long as you understand you have nothing to loose

Anthony F. :

than go for it

Customer:

OK so to recap the problems lies on the flat ribbon cable going from the Tcon to this board on the back of the LCD

Anthony F. :

unscrew the metal case on the screen and carefully remove it

Anthony F. :

or on the board or both

Anthony F. :

sometimes the ribbon will burn!

Anthony F. :

because of the short

Customer:

I verified whitch side is bac already by removing one cable at a time from the Tcon to the panel, it is the smaller one if that matters

Anthony F. :

fix the short might need a new ribbon

Anthony F. :

ok use your meter an ohm the caps

Customer:

ok you have given me enough info to take a stab at it.

Anthony F. :

should not read to ground

Customer:

ok

Anthony F. :

i have done it

Customer:

cool

Customer:

thanks again any thing else?

Anthony F. :

Thanks for using JA Please rate and if you have further questions you can return Have a great nght Good Luck!

Customer:

if you think of anything else give me a ring

Anthony F. :

sure

Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.