Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a Sony Wega KDFE 42A 10 that has a blue oval the size

I have a Sony Wega KDFE 42A 10 that has a blue oval the size of a football in the center, as well as a blue right lower corner. The tv is probably 6-8 years old. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thank you, John
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the question, John. I'm Dan.

This is a very common problem on your KDF-E42A10 and the rest of the 2005 "3LCD" model line.

It's caused by defective polarizers and liquid crystal panels inside the TV's optical block, which is the heart of the TV.

This is so common, there were a couple class-action lawsuits brought against Sony for this (2005) and many other model years and model numbers. You can read more about the problem and the lawsuits >>here<<.

As for a remedy, there are a couple things you can do but my strongest recommendation is for you to email the Sony Listens team atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Give them the model number and attach a couple pictures of what you're seeing on the screen. The class action-related warranty extensions have expired, but they're well known for offering significant discounts on a newer model (without an optical block).

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that answers your question. If it doesn't, just let me know. Oh, and be sure to rate the service I've provided before you log off. I hope it was excellent! Thanks!

Best,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan, you said there are a couple of options, what is the other one??

How long should the tv last? It has had the blue spot for probably 6 months.

It has gotten no worse. Thanks, John

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good questions, John.

The blue discoloration will normally worsen over time. I'm surprised yours hasn't. That doesn't change the diagnosis, I'm afraid.

Design life of a TV like this is 5-10 years. It's unfortunate, but they just don't last like they used to. Some of the newer models (without optical blocks) are doing a little better.

Your other options would be to have the TV repaired, or to repair it yourself. We can order a refurbished optical block for about $300. I could give you the steps to replace it. I didn't mention this since you can get a new TV from Sony for not much more than that.

Best,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.