Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Sony KDL-46S4100 with no picture or sound, but do

I have a Sony KDL-46S4100 with no picture or sound, but do have back-light & the green power indicator is steady (not flashing) Where should I start checking to isolate the problem?

Thanks
Hi! I am happy to help you with this today.

When you unplug/plug in the LVDS cable (from the main board to the t-con) do you get lines or flickering on the screen?

Thanks!
Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I first started checking, I would get lines and sometimes the picture would come on, but now I get no response when I disconnect/re-connect the LVDS cable.... I was able to get sound by changing the channel.

Ok, sounds like a bad t-con really. when you say "I was able to get sound" do you mean before, but not anymore....or do you still get sound?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still get sound....but no video information on the screen.

Ok then yes, sounds like we have a bad t-con here.

If the t-con was good we should see lines flickering on the screen when you unplug and re plug that cable.

Looks like they sell on ebay for around $30. Sony does not list a part number from them so I cannot find one used from any vendor, looks like they only sold it as part of the lcd panel.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - I'll get a T Con board & replace that. What are the chances that the mother board could also be bad and, will it damage the new T-con board when hooked up?

Many thanks!

I dont think the main board is bad at all from the symptoms you have given me.

If anything there is a very small chance that the lcd panel is bad, but its unlikely with these symptoms. We have ran into this many times and its always the t-con.

Let me know how it goes!
Thanks,
Tim