Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

power light is on but no picture or sound. M/N KDL-46XBR9 S/N

power light is on but no picture or sound. M/N KDL-46XBR9 S/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-If you push the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?
-If you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Menu doesn't come up. No glow in dark room. Normally there is a click when turned on I don't hear that. Bought it in 9 2009.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
The power light goes back off like it should too when you turn it back off though right?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes sir.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $125-$150 to fix the set.

Next could be the main/inverter board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $200-$300 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Either of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you sir.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, sorry again for the bad news, I really enjoy easy fixes or good news much more but unfortunately it just doesn't always work that way.

Hopefully my info is enough to give you confidence to make the decisions you have to make now.

Please let me know if you need anything at all in the future.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sir pulled power waited a couple of minutes and reset TV now works normally. Thanks again.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Well that is great news! I hope it keeps working and this is not the beginning of an intermittent problem.

Thanks,
tim