Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

We have a 32" LCD 720p NS-32L430A11. The screen keeps going

We have a 32" LCD 720p NS-32L430A11. The screen keeps going blank, but audio
continues to work. What could it be?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

HI there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

do you have this issue with all sources (cable/satellite, dvd, etc)?

p0llinate :

When the screen goes blank, can you get the on screen menu to come up?

Customer:

Yes to all sources. Once it goes blank nothing comes up.

p0llinate :

If the issue happens on all sources, then it is an internal hardware failure;

p0llinate :

on LCD sets like this, it is usually caused by a bad backlight/inverter

p0llinate :

How long have you had the set?

Customer:

Only two years if that

p0llinate :

Okay, well the difficult part here becomes the decision you'll need to make.

p0llinate :

The warranty on these is only a year

p0llinate :

being past that, you'd be on your own for repairs.

p0llinate :

The type of repair necessary (likely replacing the inverter, or possibly a power supply or main board component) is expensive

p0llinate :

to the point that it's usually cheaper to buy a new tv when you're in this brand and size range.

Customer:

What kind of cost could I be looking at if that is the problem?

p0llinate :

You'd usually be looking at around $300 for parts and labor

p0llinate :

for a 32" set, it doesn't make sense when you can buy a new tv for the same price or less.

Customer:

I can get new for around $210 as it's only a 720p and we don't need a 1080p in our bedroom.

p0llinate :

I would agree with that as well, replacement is going to be your best bet here.

p0llinate :

I'm sorry there isn't a better option for a simple fix.

p0llinate :

If you were really wanting to fix it, and are comfortable doing repairs yourself,

p0llinate :

you could try buying the parts, but even changing out the inverter yourself will carry some risk as if you get the wrong part, you're out half the cost of the set that you won't get back.

p0llinate :

Parts would be around the $100-150 range usually, so I would still lean toward a new set with a fresh warranty.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I assume you will bill the credit card the $28 for the answer? I'll; buy new

p0llinate :

Yes, the billing should be automatic (you usually pay deposit up front actually)

p0llinate :

I'll just ask that you "rate" me using the smileys below so I get credit for my time.

Customer:

Thank you and have a good night

p0llinate :

You're very welcome, and you as well!

p0llinate :

Should you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you,

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.