Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 32in element flat screen tv model # XXXXX got it

I have a 32in element flat screen tv model # XXXXX got it as a xmas present :it played for a short time 3 months ? now it wont come on red lite is all i get plz help
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

p0llinate :

To aid in the diagnostic process, please answer the following for me:
1) Any signs of life at all from the tv?
2) Solid or flashing power/status light (any pattern if flashing)?
3) Any brightness from the screen? If you hold a flashlight to the screen, do you see an image?
4) Any normal tv audio, or other sounds (buzzing, humming, clicking, etc)?
5) Does this happen with all sources?
6) Are you able to bring up the on screen tv menu at all?

p0llinate :

Offhand, the symptoms you have described so far point to an internal hardware failure; there are several possible causes, but we typically see this type of issue as the result of a power surge, or faulty capacitors in the power supply section.

p0llinate :

On this particular model, the power supply and main board are combined all into one board, so to fix, the entire board would need to be replaced (assuming that it happens on all sources, confirming an internal fault).

p0llinate :

Because of the age of the set, your best recourse here will be to pursue warranty service, if you're able to get the original receipt from the person who gifted you the tv.

p0llinate :

To file a warranty claim, you'd need to call 1-888-338-5666

Customer:

it seems to show a pic when first plug into outlet for about 3 min then static and fuzzy lite around the edge of screen then it goes out and wont come back on

p0llinate :

That does fit with an internal failure, and really can be either the power supply or control sections of the board, or even the components that drive the display;

p0llinate :

this something that will require repairs to correct however

p0llinate :

as it should be under warranty, that is not something you'd want to attempt yourself, as you'd void the warranty, and would have to pay for all of the parts and labor.

p0llinate :

So I would call Element warranty line first

p0llinate :

if they won't cover it (because you don't have the receipt or proof of purchase), then you could consider self repairs, if your'e comfortable working on electronics. The parts for these tend to be in short supply, because the maker doesn't usually produce extras, so the parts on the market are usually used/refurbished. If it comes to that, you can buy a replacement board for a little over $100, if you could do the repairs yourself. If you aren't able to do self repairs, you'd be better off replacing the tv entirely, as the cost of parts and labor would end up being about double what you'd pay for a new tv.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.