Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I hooked up my laptop to my vizio via vga cables. No problem

I hooked up my laptop to my vizio via vga cables. No problem with video. For audio I used a headphone adapter using RCA cable (red/white) from laptop to vizio. Still no audio.
What's wrong?

Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you,
Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your TV so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Have you tried to reduce volume level of laptop to minimum or slightly high and then connect it in TV PC audio input?
Some times PC audio input circuit mutes due to high audio output from laptop.

Please post back how it worked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did not work - Thanks

OK, please unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minute to reset, unplug audio wire from laptop, replug TV back in, turn it On and select PC input to get laptop picture in TV.
Now increase TV volume level and touch audio wire pin that was unplugged from laptop, do you hear any noise in TV speakers?

Please post back your findings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No audio

OK, let me open the question for other online Pros input on this issue as I'm running out of ideas what could else be done here.
I hope any one will take this question and post some helpful info.

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Can you give me the full model number of the vizio please?

It sounds like you're using the stereo rca (red/white) connectors into the tv, is that correct? Which set of ports (what label) are they plugged into? Do you see a 3.5mm minijack connector on the back of the tv (headphone type jack)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vizio model # XXXXX VO37OM

The RCA cable is plugged into audio (red/white) in the back of the TV (not the audio out red/white)

There is no 3.5mm written but there is a headphone jack that says "audio" (my headphone jack fit perfectly), in the same "blue" panel where I plugged in the VGA cable. An "a-ha" moment?

Yes, a-ha exactly. I was expecting this was the issue.

Most tvs that have a vga input have a matching minijack input for pc audio. The rca ports you are using are for another input mode (component/composite connections for a dvd player, cable box, etc)

What you need to do is run a 3.5mm minijack to minijack cable (headphone type plug on both ends) from the computer to that port on the tv, and you should get normal sound.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.