Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Sony Bravia with a small white spot in the screen.

I have a Sony Bravia with a small white spot in the screen. On a blue background screen it looks like a star in a night sky. It is visible on all screens but is very tiny and bright. Is this a problem? Will it enlarge and cause trouble?

Hello and thank you for the question. Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV? Also is the dot there whether viewing from the DVD, cable box, etc.?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX

The dot is there if the power is on, no matter what the display

Thank you. How long have you had the set for?

Also does the dot ever move or is it stationary? Did it seem to appear out of nowhere, or did it start as a pinhole then slowly start to grow?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The set is still in warrenty. Was purchased in Sept 2012.

The dot does not move and has been the same since I noticed it about 2 months ago. It seems to have come from nowhere

Okay its good that your TV is still under warranty. That dot you're seeing is actually a defect in the LCD panel of the set, and is not a repairable flaw. Now, one pixel of information missing from a screen is considered acceptable by most manufacturers, buy if you're actually able to notice it under normal viewing then this is a defect and not an acceptable flaw. You will need to contact the retailer and have them contact Sony service. In most cases their solution will actually be to replace this set given the dot you're seeing as they have had many problems with their LCD panels failing. I wish I had better news but it is likely that this problem will get much worse over time.