Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

My westinghouse tv model sk-32h540s, when turn on it comes

My westinghouse tv model sk-32h540s, when turn on it comes up as it normally does but I can only see the picture for about 3-4 seconds than the screen goes black but I can still hear the audio. It does the same thing when I switch the input to the hdmi2 port. I switch cable boxes, reset my moden, and unplug the tv to see if it would reset but the end result is the same.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

The modem is completely unrelated to this problem and it's isolated to the TV itself.

When the screen goes black, if you press MENU on the TV itself (not the cable box remote), will the MENU display?

If not, do you have a flashlight nearby?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No when screen goes black it will not respond to any thing but it will respond before screen goes bla k.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Do you have a flashlight nearby please?

If so, we need to try a test. Shine the flashlight at a 45 degree angle to the screen very closely (not quite touching the screen), then look very very closely at the screen and see if you can locate a dimly lit shadowy image behind the screen please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Okay this means that the backlights for the LCD panel are no longer working. The part that controls this is the backlight inverter in the set. Unfortunately there isn't a quick fix for this problem and the TV will require service. Average cost to have the Inverter replaced is around $175 parts and labor on this set. The other possible cause is the power supply output that feeds the inverter (the power supply has several low voltage outputs for the different circuits).Often times one or more capacitors on the power supply will drift out of spec and can cause the problems you're having. Average cost to replace the supply is $150 parts and labor.
If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance or are looking to repair this yourself please let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Why is it that I can clearly see the picture for the first 4 seconds or so.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Because the component has not warmed up to operating temp yet so it's behaving normally. When is reaches operating temp and full voltage that is when it shuts down. This is common for most electronic components. I can tell you with 100% certainty that there isn't a reset, or adjustment you can make to fix this problem, and we see the same failure on TV's everyday here.

If you need further assistance let me know.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.