Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a 50" LG tv that has two fuzzy bars coming down the

I have a 50" LG tv that has two fuzzy bars
coming down the middle of tv. (Top to bottom) What is the cause of that?

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..any chance you can get me the model number of that LG? Often. LG puts the number on the side and not the back like other manufacturers.

If you can't find that info, do you know if it is a plasma or LCD set?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

LG Plasma TV

Model# XXXXX J350-UB

Ok, are the lines visible on all inputs? For example, do you have anything else connected to this TV like a DVD player, or a Wii, Playstation etc.? How is the picture on those inputs?

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it also happens when DVD player is on. Yes on all inputs.

Ok, got that.

Last question, are the two fuzzy bars left of center, right of center or one on either side of center?

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just left of center (tv is 46" wide - at 23" point - the bars are just to the left.) I can see thru the fuzzy bars but unclear)

Ok, on a plasma TV, there are a pair (sometimes a trio) of boards that run along the bottom of the screen and connect directly to the plasma panel. These boards are called buffers and you can see some here: http://screencast.com/t/gV2WopUfwEe

These boards actually don't do much except provide a connection to the panel's vertical pixel columns from the clever parts of the TV. They are 'dumb' boards.

Your problem is between one of those boards and the plasma panel. The first plan of attack would be to simply disconnect and reconnect the board to see if that fixes it. If not, a replacement would be in order - not expensive. Maybe $50.

If you can't do this yourself, then you are looking at a repair bill in the $200-$300 range (labor is expensive and this is not a 10 minute job). You can find a tech in your area at www.tvrepairpros.com

Please let me know if you plan to do it yourself. I will try and find the board and point you in the right direction as best I can via this dialog.

I'm sorry that there is no quick and easy fix for this problem.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To disconnect board and reconnect, looks as though I would have to take the back panel of tv off. Would this require laying tv flat on floor to do this repair? After replugging board can it be tested on the floor or does it need to be upright. If I have it repaired by a tech does it need to be brought in or can it be repaired right in my house?

I use a blanket in my shop and lay the set down to do the work. You can test it while it is in this position, just peek to see if the picture is good - or you can prop it up and do it that way.

It will cost you more to have a technician come to you. It is very unlikely that he would fix this in one trip so you would be paying for at least two. If you can cart the TV down to him, you will be without your TV but it should work out cheaper.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

to follow up: TV went back to normal without any repair. Not sure why but not going to complain.

Thanks anyway

Enzo