Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

the picture of my kdl-40z4100 changed completely as we watched

the picture of my kdl-40z4100 changed completely as we watched a program.it shows like a negative picture.Please tell me what can I do to fix the problem
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?

Or directly to cable /antenna
Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?

If so , does the problem appear with those as well ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hello,i got cable hd box connected to tv

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.
Nothing else connected ?
Did this happen this morning , just a while ago ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

sony dvd player and the hd cable box.it happened last night.

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.
O.k then did you try the dvd player ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the problem is on the tv cause I tried the other sony tv I got and is working fine

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k but the idea here is to find out if this happens only on the input/source where the cable box is connected.

In any case here is something for you to try before we go any further ;

Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the picture on all inputs(rf antenna and hdmi) is the same.just tried what YOU suggested but unfortunately picture is still like you watch negative photo.

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then but i would have a couple more question ;

Does the menu look normal ?

If you knock on the TV's frame at the top of the screen or at the back near the input connectors , does it seem to affect the picture ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

tried to knock it near the connectors -doesn't affect the picture.

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Right now this problem could be caused by 2 circuits , one is the main (BU) board and the other by the T-CON (lcd controller) board.

At this point though from your description and from all the info I have on this model , it would definitely look like the t-con is the culprit.

While waiting for you I did look for that board part # XXXXX and at this time none of the regular suppliers have it in stock which seems to prove that this is indeed a popular replacement board.

Can you give me a few minutes ?

By the way , did you wish to look into repairing this yourself or just have an idea of the cost of repair in a shop ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I d like the tv to be repaired in a authorized sony shop

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then we won`t bother with part suppliers .

In any case at this point all that can be found is some used boards on ebay.

For a Sony ASC (authorized service center) click on the link below and enter your TV's model and zip code ;

https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

This will give you the ASC`s closest to you.

At this point I could say that you can expect a repair of approx. 200 to $250 .

If there are several sony shop near you then I would call different ones with the info you have now (t-con) , to get an idea of their rates , this may vary from one shop to the other as this tv is no longer under warranty.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech