TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

I purchased a Samsung TV Model 46U5500 and I try to run it

I purchased a Samsung TV Model 46U5500 and I try to run it on a local network that is not connected to the Internet. The problem is that since Smart TV ... It does not allow to open the browser when it does not detect an internet link.
What should I do to open the original browser or other browser in the case described above.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Browsers only connect to the internet...if you don't have it, you can't use them.

Are you just trying to look at Photos and Movies on your TV from a computer? If so, you should be able to simply select the computer on the network, and access your "shared" file folders and simply select them. At least if you have Windows 7 on your computers.

Vista...that really didn't have the media server required to watch movies and view pictures.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

We want to browse the organizational portal through Smart TV. Our organization is not connected to the Internet.

The only way you can browse your organizational portal is to use a computer to connect to it. You can send the computer display screen to your TV set. The TV set was only designed to connect directly to a computer's movie/photo/music files and play them directly. They were also designed to use Samsung servers for the web browser functions and that's why you can't access your servers, even if it does use a browser based page for access.

To satisfy your needs, your TV and your organization would have to be connected to the internet to allow the TV to establish its connection to the servers used by Samsung.

I wish I could give you good news, but Samsung wasn't built as a standalone computer, they are designed as an access point -- much like having a "dumb terminal" connected to a server that did all the processing. Your internet browser is just an application that connects to a server that processes your request. Most of the browsers may be Yahoo or AOL, or some other large company like Google that connects your TV's application to thier servers and does the processing. Your servers would require the ability to read the TV's browser app, process the request, then send the video/audio data back to the TV's app.

A computer is the missing link on the TV setup you have.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

I'm sorry but I do not agree with your answer. When I connect the local network to the internet - I can open the browser and I can browse the organizational portal through Smart TV.
The only problem that must be overcome is open the browser even when there is no connection to the Internet.

That's exactly what I am stating in my previous response.

Your TV requires that you connect to the internet. You are attempting to not connect to the internet and hoping that you can connect to your organization's website using the intranet. That's the limiting factor. The browser on your TV set needs to connect to a public server that handles all Samsung TV sets, and that's the reason why you can't get it to connect directly to your website.

To an extent, if you can get the TV to think it has connected to the public server, then you can request connection back to your organization's website. It is possible that a proxy connection could overcome this situation, but that would be something I'd recommend your network analyst look into.

If you can do that, then I believe you could circumvent the TV's need to connect to a public server to process the connection and re-direct it back to your private network.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

I'm starting to understand you. I would like to ask another question - when we connected the internet we were able to open the browser. When we disconnected the internet yet we were able to open the browser. When we turned off the TV and turned on it again we were unable to open the browser. Are you sure there is not a setting that will allow opening the browser?

Hmm, powering down the TV broke the connection, yet maintained it when you actually unplugged the internet cable connection FROM the Router? That's the test that would prove to me it's not routed out of that specific router.

You have multiple routers in your system. More than one is likely active with an internet connection. At least that's my initial suspicion, and it is possible it has established a connection from the TV to the router and possibly made it to another router on the WAN jack or possibly even the Wireless connection point.

I do find it interesting that the TV power down does break the link.

Now, you can try that test...inform me if the TV is using a Lan cable or Wireless connection. Also it would be helpful if you told me your local router is connected via lan or it's wirelessly connected as a repeater/bridged wireless connection.

I would suspect Lan connections if the business requires a more secure connection.

We may want to bring in a Networking expert in on this from Just Answer.

I work on TVs and other electronics, and have some basic knowledge of networking...but I really don't consider my Networking knowledge at the same level as an JA Networking expert.

But it's obvious to me that if you turned off the internet...and found the TV could STILL NAVIGATE your browser connections/'s still maintaining the link to the server it connected to and back to your webpage.

One thing I believe the network experts can do...I think they can connect remotely to a nearby computer in your "TV room" have to establish contact with them, then they send you a permission request key that you allow. From that point...they could possibly pick up the TV's TCP/IP of the TV set on the network, maybe see what the destination address is in the Header of the packets.

From that gets beyond the tools I have. I have electronic repair tools, I do not own electronic computer networking software capable of reading destination headers.

Listen, I might be down for several hours. Maybe 8, up to 12 hours. I don't know myself. It's time to do a serious maintenance update on my computer. Complete wipe of operating system.

It might be a perfect time to talk to the Network experts, see if they can make the TV think it's routing to the internet when it's actually routing to the company's server.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

This setup was a pilot. We want to purchase 300 TVs so important for us to make serious testing before we decide what to purchase. For the reason that we could not start the browser and other reasons we decided not to purchase the Samsung Smart TV. The next TV we intend to test will be android TV.

By the way can you give us a clue on the subject of android TV?

Android TV is something I'd recommend be directed to the Android Phone experts. My experience is TV related. I suggest a second Question for them.