Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 47" Vizio TV that is currently only displaying the

Customer Question

I have a 47" Vizio TV that is currently only displaying the logo.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Vizio.

p0llinate :

Can you give me the full model number of the set please?

p0llinate :

Does it come up to the vizio startup logo and just hang there perpetually, or does it shut itself down after a few minutes?

p0llinate :

Also to clarify, is it showing the vizio logo on the tv screen itself (image display), or do you just mean a light in the shape of the vizio logo showing below the tv screen on the case of the set?

JACUSTOMER-84u1dewk- :

E470VLE

JACUSTOMER-84u1dewk- :

Doesn't shut off, just hangs there perpetually. It's on the image display.

p0llinate :

Typically this type of the issue is just a glitch in the memory/microprocessor within the tv, and can often be reset. To attempt a reset, unplug power to the set at the wall outlet for at least 15 minutes, then press and hold the power button on the side for 60 seconds, keep holding while you plug back in, and keep holding another 60 seconds after.

p0llinate :

If that doesn't do it, repeat the process, but leave unplugged a longer period (a few hours or even better overnight, if you have the patience)

p0llinate :

If that still doesn't do the trick, then it would indicate an internal hardware failure, most likely a bad main board, or a failed power supply component that is preventing the set from fully starting up. Either of those would require repairs to crrect.

JACUSTOMER-84u1dewk- :

I'll attempt resetting now. If resetting doesn't work, what are my next steps? Should I contact a local repair shop?

p0llinate :

If it comes to that point, you'll need to decide if it is something you would want to attempt to repair yourself (requires removing the back of the tv, taking out boards and components, testing and replacing other boards as needed). Typically parts for something like this would be in the $100-200 range. If having a local shop do it, double that to factor in labor costs.

p0llinate :

When you get to that point though, being beyond the warranty, it will often make more sense to just buy a new tv, considering a new tv can be found for not much more.

p0llinate :

To help with that decision, I'd suggest calling around to a few local repair shops and ask if they can give you a phone estimate, tell them you think it needs a new main board and the model number of the tv to get an idea of what they'd charge, then you can decide which repair/replace option makes the most sense for you.

p0llinate :

Hopefully though, the reset will work for you. If it does not, I'll be happy to help find a local shop if you need, or recommend some replacements if you prefer. Give the reset a test though, and let me know the results when you have a chance to. Good luck!

JACUSTOMER-84u1dewk- :

First attempt was unsuccessful. I'll try again, tomorrow. Thank you!

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Gareth, look forward to hearing back how it turns out for you.

Best wishes,