TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

un46d6900 - thin line across bottom of screen. looks white

Customer Question

un46d6900 - thin line across bottom of screen. looks white against a dark background, and black against a light background. It appeared about a week ago, I've owned it since February, bought it refurbished from Bestbuy.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

I hope it's still under manufacturer's warranty. What limits did you get with refurbished?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the warranty was for 90 days - expired in May.

also, the line is about 1/2 inch from the bottom. most noticeable on the left, and fainter on the right. it seems to be about the thickness of a pixel - very thin.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

That's not good news. You see, that single line with the bad pixel control...that's all controlled within the LCD panel itself. The only way to fix it is to replace the LCD panel.

There's special ICs built into the LCD's frame that control each line and one output signal is inverted...you get white when it's supposed to be black and vice versa.

They have to replace the whole panel to correct it.

I have an example picture here showing the Tab ICs I just mentioned, on the right there is a copper bar, and that's the actual IC that controls 128 horizontal lines on the TV screen. --

The only thing I can recommend is contacting Samsung's Customer Relations department informing them that even though it's a refurbished unit that it shouldn't have lasted only 6 months, and they should at least let you swap it....trade up to one that works. They may not honor the 90 day warranty, but if they let you trade it for a different /better model, you wouldn't lose your investment into this TV set.

1-800-522-7341

1-800-747-5618

I'm sorry this isn't good news, but Samsung does have a Customer relations department whose job is to help customers out of warranty. They don't want you thinking Samsung builds bad product, but there are TVs that die a premature death due to manufacturing quirks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I couldn't see the picture you included. Is there another way to send the picture? What would have caused it to invert the black/white when it was originally fine? What's an "IC"? thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I could see the pictures after all. Are the phone numbers for Samsung customer service? Thanks.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, those are the numbers to call. They're not the first level 1 800 Sam-sung number.

Those pictures do show up, but I did have to hit the reply button, THEN add those pictures afterwards. You may want to double check my last reply and see if the pictures are there now.

IC stands for "integrated circuit", it's a whole complete circuit built into one little box. On those ribbon cables, the copper colored bar is that IC. It inverts the black and white simply because within that IC, one of the switches that supposed to deliver 5 volts or 0 volts switches it's output to the exact opposite of what it should be.

But like I said, Samsung knows that this can happen to equipment. They know it can happen to "out of warranty" equipment, and they do have the Customer Relations Department to take care of customers like you.

While they can stand there and say "Its out of warranty" the customer relations department is there to help make customers happy. They're the ones that can authorize out of warranty diagnosis, out of warranty repairs, or out of warranty exchanges. That's their job.

They tighten up near the end of the month because they're alloted a certain monthly amount to make customers happy, so since it's the beginning of the month they should be able to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - I assume the phone numbers you provided are for Samsung customer relations. I'll give it a try! It's such a nice TV I don't want to give it up. Are you saying they don't fix them, but rather exchange is more likely?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

LCD panels are expensive. Samsung usually exchanges when they fail. Any other parts are usually replaced.

A little note...if you get a No, try again. Some employees are by the book...others work within the system to get an ok. Sometimes you need to talk to a supervisor instead of an employee. I've been sent out on diagnosis, and had to call Customer Relations, other times the customer initiates the call while I'm there, and they talk to me. Don't be surprised if they first authorize a local servicer to come out and inspect the TV. Other times they do a direct exchange.

It's a very dynamic process with Customer relations.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for all the help. I will take your advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi TV Tech1! Sorry to bother you, but the phone numbers seem to be out of service. Do you happen to have perhaps more recent number that they use for the customer relations? thanks.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

They must have merged the departments. I think the last time I called them, it was the 1 800 Samsung number, and if you ask for customer relations, the people state that they are customer relations.

I think I forgot about that...I don't have to call them on a regular basis.

1-800-726-7864

And I better note that the country you're from disappears after the first contact. I don't know if you're in the UK or the USA or Australia etc. I'm assuming the USA.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - I got through but the rep wouldn't do a thing. I asked for a supervisor, and she also wouldn't budge. They referred me to Bestbuy for assistance, saying that Bestbuy does their own refurbishing, but that's not what Bestbuy's website indicates. We'll see. Have you ever used the XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX email address to get help?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at the response above. Just Answer blocks emails, phones and certain other contact information between customers and experts. That's to keep the conversation on Just Answer only.

I know it's not Samsung or BestBuy's email. there's only 6 letters before the dot com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't realize the email would be blocked out. It's supposed to be the samsung officeofthepresident. Anyway I sent an email to bestbuy cs and cc'd the samsung email. I don't think I'm going to get anything out of either one. Thanks for all the help. If you have any other magic tricks on the subject, please pass them along!

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Actually you pulled out the BIG GUNS my wife likes to do....Emailing the President of the company. She's gotten results doing that. New Toaster, corrected shipping and billing on certain things she bought..It makes sense to escalate up the chain of command. She also likes to back them in a corner with logic about the quality the Samsung company may claim in their sales/advertisements.

She backs them into the corner to the point they start stammering like ...

Fred Flintstone getting caught doing something wrong by Wilma Flintstone.

Who doesn't know that stammer from their childhood ?

Uh-bee...Uh-boo...Uh-be-uh-boo.

Sorry about that...I just laugh about it every time she does that to them. It's impressive in my book. She does that with first and second level customer relation employees.