Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Hello, I have a Vizio E470VL tv that is having a few issues.

Customer Question

1) I have no sound. I unplugged it for the night and sound worked again for a while, but is now off.
2) Its stuck in wide mode and can't get it back into "normal".
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

p0llinate :

can you tell me if this happens on all sources (cable/satellite, dvd, game, etc)?

Customer:

I havent tried DVD and there are no games hooked up to the TV

p0llinate :

What is the current source? A cable or satellite box?

p0llinate :

How is it connected? (hdmi, component, coax, etc)?

Customer:

Its a DVR box from the cable company. Not sure how its connected (I dont know how to find that out)

p0llinate :

Ok, lets check the dvd first.

p0llinate :

If the problem happens with the dvd player too, then we know it's an internal hardware problem with the tv (control board fault)

Customer:

ok.. give me a few minutes

p0llinate :

If dvd works okay, then we know it is a problem with the dvr, or the connection.

p0llinate :

No problem, take your time.

Customer:

DVR sound works fine

p0llinate :

Okay good. Is the aspect (wide) on dvd looking alright?

Customer:

I can switch from wide to normal on the dvd

p0llinate :

Okay.

p0llinate :

While annoying, that's actually a good sign.

p0llinate :

It tends to show that the tv doesn't need to be repaired.

Customer:

i was hoping you would say that :)

p0llinate :

It looks like the cable box is either having a memory glitch, or has a hardware problem.

p0llinate :

Let's first reboot the cable box (unplug power to it for 60+ seconds).

Customer:

ok...brb

p0llinate :

While it is sitting, double check the cord between it and the tv, to make sure it is plugged in tight.

Customer:

plugged it back in and checked connections.. its starting back up (the dvr box)

p0llinate :

Okay, let me know how it sounds/looks when back up

Customer:

same.. no sound and stuck in wide mode

p0llinate :

Thanks for checking,

p0llinate :

looks like you've got a bad cable box here.

Customer:

ok

p0llinate :

Also an annoyance, but not your problem, at least.

p0llinate :

The cable company should replace it for you.

p0llinate :

Give them a call in the morning, or swing by the local cable co retail store if they have one, and they should swap it out for you.

Customer:

okies.. will get a new one tomorrow.. glad its not the TV :)

p0llinate :

There is 1 other possibility, which is that the cord between them is bad,

p0llinate :

but typically you wouldn't have a format (wide) issue with that, just the sound, and usually no video at all, so a bad box is much more likely.

Customer:

ok

p0llinate :

I'm sure the new box will take care of this for you.

p0llinate :

If by some slim chance it does not, feel free to get back in touch, and I'll run down some other troubleshooting steps with you to figure what else we can do here.

Customer:

ok.. ty

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.