Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Our Haier L32F1120a television has gone into a weird mode where

Our Haier L32F1120a television has gone into a weird mode where when you turn it on, the on-light turns blue for 10 seconds or so, then turns red again without ever displaying anything on the screen.

Is there some way we can reset it?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We've had the tv for under two years. The problem started just 2 days ago. There was no storm or power outage. I turned the tv on and instead of the normal startup, it went to a menu screen. When I exited the menu screen, the tv went into this frustrating state.

Thank you for the reply.

This can be due to one of two things.

Let's try a hard reset of the TV. Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. Then release, plug it back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you said. This time the blue on-light came on and stayed on, but there is no picture or anything on the screen.

If you press MENU, Input of Volume on the TV, does anything respond on the set at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing happens.

Sorry to hear that Doug, Unfortunately there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets. The problem could also be a cracked solder joint, or failed IC regulator, in which case it would be more cost effective to replace the board itself. Average cost for this type of repair is around $175 parts and labor on this set.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.