Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

My set has begun refusing to recognize and play DVDs. Not all,

My set has begun refusing to recognize and play DVDs. Not all, but some, including BluRay. The set was purchased April, 1911, at Best Buy. It has a great picture. Do I need to take the set to a repair shop, or can you suggest some fix I might be able to do.
Hopefully,

Frank McGee
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Did this problem occur suddenly, or did it occur gradually over time?

Also, have you tried using a laser lens cleaner disc yet?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Aric,

Thanks for answering. Happened suddenly ten days ago. First noticed it when the set rejected a Blu-ray disc. No, I have not tried using a laser lens cleaner disc. Are they available anywhere? Expensive?

Frank

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the reply Frank.

The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned).

You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times. They are available at Wal-Mart, Staples, Radio Shack or Best Buy for around $10. They have brushes that remove the dust from the laser lens in the player.

Next I would try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at Staples, Radio Shack or even Wal-Mart). Place the spray tip of the air can in the disc slot and spray liberally to remove any excess dust or dirt.

If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced.

In this case you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area, but keep in mind it may not be cost effective, or practical to repair this unit- as repairs of this type are often in the $150 range.

www.stereorepair.com

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will do what you suggest. Have to leave now to pick up someone at the airport. Am I able to get in touch with you if I need more help?

Frank

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Yes you can reply back here at anytime even once the service is rated. You can simply log onto www.justanswer.com and then click on "My Questions".