Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

I have a sony kdf-60xbr-950. The top and bottom of the picture

Customer Question

I have a sony kdf-60xbr-950. The top and bottom of the picture is cutoff. I can enter the service mode menu, but I cannot find the appropriate category/item (for example vsiz) on the service menu
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occuring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am the original owner, and estimate the TV is perhaps 9 years old. The problem has existed for quite some time. I have a DirectTV box connected as well as a DVD player and AppleTV. The problem is constant. Menu displays normally

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

So the screen is cut off top and bottom on Direct TV, and also when you switch to DVD and Apple TV as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct. Its not a major cutoff -- my guess perhaps I get 95% of the vertical height

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this does not sound like an adjustment issue.

When I was asking about the MENU, I meant, does the MENU cut off on the same parts and when watching an external video input?

Or does the MENU display normally even over these parts of the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Sony menu command appears center screen; it does not begin at the top of the screen.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm unsure if this is a setting issue or a fault in the video processing of the TV. I will opt out and perhaps another expert will have some more ideas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Aric. Do I need to do something to get to another expert? Appreciate your help

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. No, the question's back on the list and if anyone else sees it and has an idea they will lock the question and respond to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert could not answer the question and told me he was sent it to another expert
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Please BE aware
This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and money
your problem really doesnt sound possible there is no scan in the tv and there is no pix adj size
there is ASPECT RATIO on both the TV and the DIRECT TV Box as well
and this being mismatched can cause this but you say your DVD player is cut off as well?
Can you send a pix of the issue ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its not an aspect ratio issue (in other words, I expect cutoff on certain settings). Will attach a screen shot of the DirectTV Guide as well as ESPN. You can see the top and bottom have slight cutoffs. The images are at

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6081270/photo%201.JPG

and

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6081270/photo%202.JPG

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
There is a little bit of overscan designed into the tv's becuase they are projection
but it should only be no more than 1/2 inch or so
the pictures show cut off on top is there equal cut off on the bottom?
because there is a centering adjustment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, its about the same at top and bottom, which I gather is not a centering issue. is there a vertical size adjustment (or am I misunderstanding what that might be?)

Thanks

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
The problem here is THERE IS NO VERT SIZE ADJUSTMENT
There is NO SCAN
its not a CRT TV where the pix scans across the screen
its a digital representation of the signal on an Image IC
there is no adjustment and like i said a proj tv is NOT the same as a direct view LCD there is built in overscan ....and there is no way to fix that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Is there a way to fix the problem with the cutoff at the top and bottom?

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
No but we could pull the pix down a little if you are not able to read scores at the top...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does not sound like a good option, as I think I would then cut off scores at the bottom on other networks. I am surprised (but perhaps should not be) that this is not adjustable, but I do understand your explanation. I will give this a little thought tonight as to whether to move the pix down.

I did see "MDVS" in the service menu for the XBR950, which on a posting (and I know not to believe everything on the web) is somehow linked to "vertical size." Is this of any use here?

Will follow up tomorrow. Thanks

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

no thats for a CRT XBR950 that model suffux has been around a long time
KV CRT
KDL LCD
KP PROJ CRT
let me know if i can be of more assistance to get to the LCD menu you have to hit jump 3 times after you enter the service menu

you can change anything you want as long as you dont save it ....but dont initialize it !!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Anthony

I have the service manual from the KDF-XBR (am attaching the front page to show you):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6081270/Pages%20from%20KDF-60XBR950_70XBR950.pdf

I went into the service mode and was able to navigate to the MDVS page:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6081270/photo.JPG

So perhaps I am not understanding? Will adjusting MDVS do anything to help?

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
I have never found aything to adjust the size of the picture on an LCD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to find out what the MDVS settings does?

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

this will do nothimg you are not even in the right area to adjust the lcd image

hit JUMP 3 times

it will do nothing most of the settigs in this area are for CRT

and they do nothing on an LCD

HiT JUMP 3 times to get to the ENGINE screen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hit jump 3 times -- nothing seems to change:

I hit jump when getting into the service mode: no effect. Did the same at the MDVS screen with no effect.

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
the jump button will take you from the green menu to QM Menu and then to the panal menu
hit it immediatly after you eneter the service menu with the DISPLAY 5 vol up power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot get that to work. I still am on the Green Service menus despite hitting jump 3 times immediately after service mode. I am able to adjust the MDVS data and write it to NVM, but I do not want to make a major change and not be able to recover it.

I did

DISPLAY 5 Vol Up Power Jump Jump Jump

(I also did it with a pause until I saw the service screen; neither worked)

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

as soon as you chage anything it will be reflected no need to write it to nvm
that only keeps it when you turn tv off
you can play in there all day as long as you dont write it to nvm you will mess up nothing

do you have the original Sony remote that came with it?

i have several of these manuals but not one for this model

but all sonys operate the same as far as the service menu

there is a service menu map in the manual