Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

replaced my bulb in a Phillips dlp 50 inch tv it comes on and

replaced my bulb in a Phillips dlp 50 inch tv it comes on and red bulb light stays on and no picture
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

Anthony's TV :

Hello Please BE aware This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and money

Anthony's TV :

Does the lamp light up?

Anthony's TV :

do you hear the color wheel running?

Customer:

I hear something like a high pitch noise then the fans come on and then shut off but bulb never came on

Customer:

and the red bulb light comes on by the power button

Anthony's TV :

how long do you hear the noise?

Customer:

about 15 seconds

Anthony's TV :

does it soud like a computer hard drive?

Customer:

I have the back off and see fans come on and run for like 5 seconds and go off but noise is like 15 seconds

Customer:

yea u could say that like when u turn on a pc at first

Anthony's TV :

ok thats the color wheel sounds like it works

Anthony's TV :

do you see any ignition on the ballast?

Anthony's TV :

there is a spark gap that should light up

Anthony's TV :

only for a sec or 2

Customer:

no don't see that

Customer:

where would u see that

Customer:

its on now the red light on power button that says bad bulb and there is no noise coming for tv at all

Anthony's TV :

its in the back next to the lamp cage

Anthony's TV :

it should do this even with no lamp

Customer:

im gonna look

Anthony's TV :

ok

Customer:

I tried I don't see nothing

Anthony's TV :

then its not good news

Anthony's TV :

you most leikly have a bad dmd board or light engine....(Philips never sold them seperately)

Anthony's TV :

was your original lamp shown any damage ?

Anthony's TV :

why did you change it?

Anthony's TV :

also this tv had a tendancy to have bad connections from the power board tot he mai board and just wiggleig them may affect it

Customer:

well it kept getting dimmer and dimmer then just quit and bad bulb light was on at power button

Anthony's TV :

ok sounds like thats the issue

Anthony's TV :

turn the tv on be in back of the tv when you do this

Anthony's TV :

look for a trip switch for the lamp door

Anthony's TV :

make sure that is bypassed to run the tv

Anthony's TV :

(some models dont have one)

Anthony's TV :

fire it up listen for Bzzzzzzzzzz to last 3 seconds and stop

Customer:

I did like 50 times u hear that high pitch sound fans come on then shut off but red light stays on for a while then tv shuts off

Anthony's TV :

then repeat 3 times

Anthony's TV :

it should try 3 times

Anthony's TV :

Bzzzzzzz sounds likes Bees buzzing

Anthony's TV :

you have to be close

Anthony's TV :

1st color wheel whines up to speed then Bzzzzzz '

Customer:

I don't hear no buzzin I hear a electronic sound and fans come on for a sec then shut off it prob junk now right

Customer:

or cost more to fix then its wortgh

Anthony's TV :

yes it will cost more than its worth ...

Anthony's TV :

you could try a ballast but I hate to see you sink more into it and it might not be it.....then your back to a light engine

Anthony's TV :

make sure you did not pull any wires or cables on accident

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.