Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a 46in LED flatscreen that is blinking the red light

Customer Question

I have a 46in LED flatscreen that is blinking the red light 7 times. What does this mean, and is it repairable? I've tried "rebooting" the TV several times and that has stopped working.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry to hear you are having this problem. I can assist you. This will take some interactive work on your end. Your participation is needed and clear communication is crucial to solving your problem. To start we need to know:
1. The blink code is model specific. What is the full model number printed on the back of the Tv? should be KDL-46 something
2. Do you have any previous DIY electronics repair experience like using a meter or soldering?

Please reply with all the information to get started. Additional details may be required. My replies may take several minutes so please be patient.

ps. I am here to help you. Use the REPLY button when you don't understand what to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

KDL-46EX710

Some. If I can't I have some friends who can make this type of repairs

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Al,
Seven blinks on this model means Temperature Error. The only possible fix for this is to replace the board that has the temperature sensor which is this board:
KDL46EX710 BAL Board

If not in stock then only hope is searching ebay with the part number-

Buy on eBay

Replacing the board is not difficult if you can be very careful not to strip any screws or break any internal connectors. If you run into any issues just reply here, this question will remain open even after rating.

Please remember I am here to provide you with excellent service so if you need more help then REPLY here, otherwise please take a moment to leave a positive rating. Again, if you want more information then use the REPLY button (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does this board require soldering to install or remove, or does it use connectors etc.?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
No soldering. All you need is a screwdriver. Just be careful with the wiring harness/connectors. Don't just pull on the wires, use care.

Mike G., Technician
Experience: 10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I just installed the BAL board, and when I powered up the TV, the TV didn't come on, but the yellow and green lights started blinking at about 1Hz, together. I have not yet tried to load the firmware, as I haven't even gotten the TV to power on. Any thoughts?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what "yellow and green lights" you are referring to, but yes you really need to do the Firmware Update. Notes:
-Use a USB stick 1GB or smaller & format as FAT32.
-You may not see any confirmation screens until after the update completes and the Tv reboots.
-Do not unplug or turn off Tv in the middle of the update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike,

We replaced the BAL board, and updated the software. Today, the TV decided to behave as before, and shut off, blinking the red LED 7 times. Any other thoughts about what is causing this problem, or how to fix it?

Thanks

al

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Al,
Seven blinks means panel temperature error. 95% of the time this is just a faulty sensor on the BAL board (the panel isn't really overheating). But on rare occasions it does in fact mean that the LCD Panel is overheating. If replacing the BAL board does not fix the problem then the entire LCD Display Panel would need to be replaced, which costs as much as a whole new 46" Tv and can be very difficult to find/order...