TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Hi, I was using TiVo last night with a Panasonic TH-50PX20

Customer Question

Hi, I was using TiVo last night with a Panasonic TH-50PX20 TV and was trying to adjust the input to have TiVo accept a different size screen and all of a sudden, I got a horizontal snow in varied colors. I have recently found that I can get some stations, but not most of them. It says Compoment 1 on the screen and TiVo tells me, because of that, it's a TV problem, not theirs. Funny it happened when I was fooling with the TiVo.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Turn off the Tivo, does the snow disappear? If so, the Tivo is the source of your snow.
That's the easy way to verify it.

Next, do you have any other equipment connected to the TV set like a DVD player? Turn it on, see if the picture appears on the TV screen.

Lastly activate the TV's menu...do you see it appear normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've turned off the TiVo and then after a wait, I've plugged it back in. It reboots and I get the fuzzy again, No other things are plugged into the TV. I get the TV menu, but I don't know what I need to do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now the sound doesn't work either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any idea yet?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

turned off the TiVo and then after a wait, I've plugged it back in. It reboots and I get the fuzzy again --That sounds like the Tivo is creating your snow.

When you unplugged your Tivo --did the TV's picture go completely blank or was it still snowy on the TV screen? Remember, if the Tivo is the problem the snow would disappear when unplugged. But if the snow was still showing with the Tivo unplugged, then we know we need to look at the TV set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well when I unplugged the TiVo, it was still snowy, but this all happened when I fooled with the TiVo.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

If the TV was still snowy...and the Tivo was disconnected...it cannot produce a Snow related signal on the TV set.

Snow isn't a LACK of signal..it's just Noise with no rhythm or consistent pattern or constancy like a picture is. It's a source of signal. That's why I asked if you disconnected or remove the Tivo, was the noise still present?

Same with the TV's Menu...you either see it or you don't. And does the noise appear ON or behind the menu....that tells you whether the noise source occurs BEFORE or AFTER the menu signal is created or laid on the entire layer of video.

I ask these questions because they ISOLATE the problem

That's also why I'm interested in other equipment connected to your TV set.

Let's not center in on what the Tivo does or what you did to it.

Center in on the TV menu.

Center in on some other source of picture to your TV set.

You unplug the Tivo....and you still get snow.

It's not the Tivo then.

Let's move on to other tests to verify.

Menu? Is there still snow when the menu is activated?

Is the snow only behind the menu? Or does the snow look like its ON the menu?

You don't have anything else in your household like a DVD player?

No Cable or Satellite?

Not even a local antenna to pick up local TV stations??

Not even a long piece of wire that plugs into the center hole of your antenna connector and strung halfway up the wall? Any Digital TV tuner can get SOME channels unless you're in the middle of nowhere.

Tivo can't be your only source of enjoyment, is it?