Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Picture is dim, also menus. Nothing changes brightness. Model

Picture is dim, also menus. Nothing changes brightness. Model # XXXXX

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Samsung,

p0llinate :

is the picture dim enough that it is difficult or unpleasant to watch? Or is it passable, but you just want it to be brighter because it's in sunny room?

p0llinate :

If the menu adjustments for bright, contrast, etc make no difference, and the overall picture including menus is very dim, that would tend to indicate an internal hardware failure. Specifically, this would likely be a problem with the Z sustain board, which is the component that controls the intensity (brightness) of the display.

p0llinate :

As this is something that would require repairs to correct, you'll have some decisions to make regarding repair vs replacement.

p0llinate :

If it is something you're looking to do yourself, and are capable of doing some diagnostic testing with a multimeter, and replacing the part in question yourself, you can get this done for under $200 usually. I'm seeing the zsus board going for around $180 on average. If you would want to have a tech do the job, figure double the price to factor in labor costs. In either case, you may not consider this a practical investment for a 5 year old 720p set. If you prefer to replace it, you can typically find a comparable (upgraded, in fact, to 1080p, 3d, smart functions, etc) in the $500-800 range.

p0llinate :

If you'd like some help with part numbers, finding a local shop, or replacement recommendations, just let me know.