Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

I have a Panasonic cinemavision HDTV 1080I. When I turn it

I have a Panasonic cinemavision HDTV 1080I. When I turn it on the picture and volume start then it powers down and won't turn back on unless I unplug it. then it just turns off again.
Thanks for the question. I'm Dan.

I think you've got a PT-47WX49E model. Can you look on the back to be sure?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, great.

When you turn it on, how long do you have picture and sound?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

maybe 5 seconds

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this TV, there are a couple things that could cause the symptoms you're seeing.

The most probable cause is a faulty convergence circuit. The convergence circuit is responsible for lining up the colors on the screen and although you're not having an issue with the colors lining up, a failure in this circuit would also cause the TV to trip to standby / power off just like you're seeing.

This is reparable, and would normally run around $300 to be done in-home. Could be a little more or less, depending on where you live.

Other possible causes include the TV's power supply, the horizontal circuit, or a CRT fluid leak (fairly rare on this model, but possible). The only one of these issues that wouldn't be worth repairing, in my opinion, is a fluid leak... that's because the fluid will damage practically anything it touches (other boards, etc.).

So if this is something you want fixed, I would consider calling a local technician at this point. You'd be looking at about $100 for some diagnostics, but that would be put toward the final cost of repair, should you let them repair it.

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that answers your question. If it doesn't, just let me know. Oh, and be sure to rate the service I've provided before you log off. I hope it was excellent! Thanks!