Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a sony rear video projector tv, KP-61HS10, the self

I have a sony rear video projector tv, KP-61HS10,
the self diagnosis function using the timer/stand by light is flashing 5 times
What does that mean?
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you,

5 times blinking red standby light error code indicates problem of abnormal video out detection and it is related to three picture tubes performance in TV as one or more are not working properly to produce good picture for some reason.

Please post back, are you working on it yourself and how was picture color quality before the problem occurred?
Also, how old is the TV?

These info will help to assist you further.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The TV is 10 years old. I am working on it myself.

The picture quality was good and when i went to change the channels to verizon's on demand the video disappeared. I can hear the sound and once a while the tv picture appears and goes off. I have used the convergence button to improve picture quality. I have replaced the component wires and have made sure i am on channel 3 for verizon. The channels can be changed on the TV but no picture.

Jack for the reply.

I would recommend to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes, replug and check.
If problem doesn't resolve then we need to go inside TV for screen volts adjustments.

Please post back how unplug/ replug worked.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The unplug for 10 minutes did not work.

Sorry to hear that, please post back when you are ready to work inside TV.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have never done anything inside a tv. Are we talking about replacing things or just adjustments? On this tv where do I start to take covers off? Are we talking about getting a tv repair man in?

Thanks Jack for the info, it would be hard if you have never done anything inside TV because we will be dealing with bit high voltage (approx 800V DC screen volts) of each picture tube.
There are few other parts that could also cause this problem, these are Video out, IC7101, 7201, 7301 and others in C board circuit and transistors Q510, Q516, Q524 on A board.

If you feel uncomfortable doing work in TV then our next option is local TV repairman to check above things and measure screen volts of each picture tube.
I'm sorry, working in rear projection TV isn't that easy and high voltage shock risk is involve.

I trust my input will help you out to make decision about TV. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Shahid.