TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

We played an SD card in our Panasonic Viera 720p Plasma HDTV,

Customer Question

We played an SD card in our Panasonic Viera 720p Plasma HDTV, which contained a number of photographs. The slide show music played loud and clear. When we removed the SD card, the TV sound speakers no longer worked when the TV was tuned to a regular channel, but the slide show music continues to play over the TV speakers even though the SD card is no longer in the unit. How do we restore the sound to our regular channels????
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

There's a tiny mechanical switch on the SD card reader that's probably jammed. Really minute switch. You may actually have to disconnect the SD card reader module from the TV's main board to get it to restore normal audio. If it's a part of the main board, you can't get the SD card reader as a separated module.

One thing I would try is repeatedly clicking /unclicking the SD card maybe about 20 times. The problem is that we rarely use the SD card readers on TV sets and the switch just jams up inside the TV. And I'm not really too keen on attempting to lubricate the SD card reader to unjam the switch. Graphite's conductivity scares me...but WD-40...I'm afraid a big shot of that in the SD card reader could get between the glass and the plasma panel on some models...can't recommend that.

So. Try installing/uninstalling...get that switch moving. See if we are fortunate or not.

Lastly...I'm not too keen on this but it may work...Unplug the TV set for 15 minutes to reset the computer in the TV set. I'm leary we may end up with the TV set never starting up because of that bad switch, but it's a chance we have to take to see if the micro is actually misbehaving due to the SD card playing over and over. I don't know if you had it doing that or not, but I want to cover all possibilities so you can inform me more about your situation.

So...bases covered. Let me know which ones apply to your situation.

If your TV is younger than 2008...don't spray WD-40 in the slot. Better to take the back cover off and have better control over the spray.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning where you are! I installed and uninstalled the SD card twenty times 20 times slowly, allowing video and audio to fully come on and go off. That didn't work so I tried installing and unintalling the SD card 20 times in rapid succession. That didn't work either. I then unplugged the TV for 15 minutes. It turned back on OK, but no sound.

The external speakers still work fine, but the TV's internal speakers only work when the SD card program is engaged. The SD card doesn't even have to be inserted -- the music plays just fine in SD mode without it.

I"m NOT going to try to disconnect the SD card reader module. I'm not that handy with tools!! Are we screwed???

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Well....you're never really screwed if you throw enough money at it.

But that's why we're here on Just Answers. To see if you can handle a philips head screwdriver and see if your TV is mounted on the wall, and if so, its in enough of a safe place for you to manhandle it off the wall yourself, Or if you have to go get a friend to help. If it's on a stand...then it's simply rotate the TV and take some screws out.

So you're really not screwed....you're just the unscrewer.

It isn't that hard if you have a little confidence in yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying to help. The TV is mounted on the wall, and I'd need help getting it down, preferably by a Panasonic repair guy! Unfortunately, there's no such thing in Small Town Wyoming. I have a buddy who is handier to have around the house than me so I'll show him your recommendations and see if he thinks he's up to the task. I think I'll also call Panasonic and try to find out why their SD module has such a defective switch. I've only used the darned thing three times for Pete's sake, not counting the twenty times two attempts to jar the switch loose earlier this evening . . .

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I'm surprised by the fact the SD card's mechanical switch can cause that issue, but I've seen it on Sonys and Samsungs too. Might be the SD socket's designer, and those companies just buy it from the company that has the patent on it. I'm not sure, but when 2 or 3 companies all have the same issue....I start thinking they didn't build their own. The mechanism is pretty small in size, making the switch very small too. And small means the metal switch is pretty thin, and compact.

It's probably a micro-leaf switch and it's jammed and you can't release it.

Service centers in Wyoming...they're most likely only found in Cheyenne.