Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Samsung TV HLS4265WX/XAC rear projection. Turned off by itself,

Customer Question

Samsung TV HLS4265WX/XAC rear projection. Turned off by itself, no noise or flickering or anything. Would turn on for 30 secs then shut off. Replaced bulb abd Ballast Wont come on at all - LED's on front still show LAMP and STANDBY/TEMP. Cooling fan seem fine. What else should I replace?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

First, thank you for requesting me. It is appreciated.

Usually on Samsung DLP sets like yours, if the Lamp and the Standby/Temp LED are lit up, the lamp door is open or at least not securely closed. There is a safety switch in the body of the TV and when the lamp door is closed correctly, that switch is activated and your TV will start up.

If the switch is not activated, then the TV will not start and flash the two LEDs.

So can you check that first please and let me know.

I'll be here.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you are talking about the little blue switch that is to be in the down position when the rear door is - thats not the problem as I have checked it a dozen times.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

That is what i am talking about. Could you have pulled off a wire to the switch when you were replacing the ballast?

If not, you are going to have to find the two wires to that switch and short them to rule out the switch although those two LEDs are seldom wrong.

Please let me know if that is feasible so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am very careful while I am doing this type of electronics. I am sure that all the wiring is exactly as it was before I started on this.I tried shorting as you suggested but it made no difference. It is still doing the very same thing as it did before I replaced the lamp & ballast - except that now it does not come on at all. The lamp light and the standby/temp light come on when I hit the on switch. The lights for timer, lamp and standby/temp flash on & off intermittantly when I use the remote to turn the TV off. The little fan to the left of the lamp comes on for 15 secs or so then goes off.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Before you replaced the lamp and ballast, you had those two LEDs flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, LAMP & STANDBY/TEMP - Im not sure about the TIMER because I never tried the remote on it

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, I'm not sure if I would have changed out the lamp and the ballast for that LED indication.

I'm going to opt out of this and let some other Samsung guys go at it. I'm not sure I have a better answer for you. I'm sorry.

Hold on.

Steve

Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

Are you sure you havent been seeing all 3 lights blinking? because as steve says the lamp light and standby temp just mean that the lamp door switch isnt activating, its a safety feature to make sure that the lamp door is closed before power on, all 3 blinking is a different scenario and can mean a number of different things so if you can please just clarify that, sometimes its easy to think only 2 are blinking.

Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could have been all 3 flashing as I have a colour blindness problem & am having a hard time seeing these. Got better lighting to see it.

Left it unplugged overnight. Upon plugging it in this AM this is what it does;

Standby//temp light comes on for 2 seconds then goes off.

Then Lamp light flashes by itself for abt 20 secs. Goes off

Standby/temp comes on for 2 secs, then goes off

Lamp light then flashes for abt 20 secs., goes off

Standby/temp light comes on for 2 secs, then goes off

Lamp light comes on for 20 Secs., goes off

Then all 3 lights (timer, Standby/temp & lamp) come on flashing

& continue flashing (forever)?

My daughter (her TV) says all three lights flashed when it started shutting down (before we replaced the lamp & ballast)

Hi

Leading upto this issue have you heard any unusual humming or screeching noises coming from the set?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, didnt notice any noises but I had contemplated replacing the cooling fan as it did not seem as firm on its axle as I thought it should have been. (I noticed this when I had the unit out to replace the balast) It did rotate fine when I whirled it & it made no noise. But I could, shall I say, "wobble" it a bit & move it in and out a bit.
If you think this is the problem I will probably replace it but give me an idea of anything alse that you think may be wrong so I can evaluate everything

Hi

No Im not refering to fan issues I am refering to the color wheel, if this sticks or seizes then it will shut off the lamp its the next most suspect thing after the lamp, you can get a new color wheel from www.partstore.com
Be sure to order the color wheel from the part number on the existing one as their are variants.
Here is a video to show you how to replace the color wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx4pbNjsxfU

Let me know if you need more info
Please dont forget to rate the answer.Thank You

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the colour wheel and I cant see anything wrong with it. No cracks, warping or anything. Spins fine & makes no clicks or other noise (at least not that I can hear). No binding. There is no part number on the wheel that I can find so its difficult to order a new one. If I put in a new one & still havent solved the problem, what would be next?

Hi

Ok it really does sound like a bad color wheel just check the wheel is spinning up ok by taking the lamp out taping down the blue lamp door switch and observing the wheel through the lamp cavity you should see the wheel spin up BEFORE the shut down to 3 blinks because their is no lamp in

Let me know that you see that

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the colour wheel spins

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here. My name is Dan. Looks like your first 2 experts opted out. Must be a tough situation here. I'll do my best.

To be clear, when you say the color wheel does spin, did you re-install it in the TV and listen as you try to turn the TV on? Or are you referring to spinning it manually with your finger?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I re-installed and put everything back except for the lamp. Couldnt see the color wheel at that point so I used a mirror and could observe it starting, running & shutting down. It made no noise that I could hear.

I have now re-installed the lamp & everything is back to the same cycle as before.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK.

The new ballast you installed... can you hear it firing, trying to light the lamp? It would be faint... just a couple "clicks".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I get a couple of clicks & used a small stethoscope to hear the colour wheel.

There seems to be a slight "singing" sound coming when it is running but this noise is hard to discern from the small fan running noise.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK, the noise you described is normal. If the ballast is clicking, there's a chance the lamp you've got is faulty. Hard to say if that's our only problem or not, of course. Where did you get the new lamp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the lamp and ballast from SamsungCanadaparts. I think they are in Vancouver.

Cannot get these parts for Samsung anywhere else in Canada and the U.S. companies will not ship to Canada. The cost here is anywhere from 50 to 75% more than in U.S. Nice deal!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
On both lamps, please look closely down inside the lamp and let me know if there are any physical abnormalities... anything look melted, warped, hazy, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reflector on the old one has a slight smokey hue, mostly towards the outer edges (nearest to me) when I shine a light n. This is not apparent on the new one, howev er the new one seems to have speckly appearance (like very small specks of dust) covering the whole reflector. The old one does not have this appearance.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Neither of those sound serviceable, to me. The glass should be very clear and crisp... the reflector should be perfectly mirrored and smooth... not smoky, and definitely not speckled.

To be sure, I would exchange the new one for a replacement. SamsungCanadaParts.com is an authorized dealer, and they do sell Philips lamps... so I have no issues with the source... just the lamp in particular.

I would suggest we try that first, then move on if necessary.